Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » D/R Riser Design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: D/R Riser Design
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day all,
I've recently noticed an alternative way of laying out the glass, lams and riser for D/R longbows.

Instead of the belly glass and laminations of each limb riding up their respective riser ramps to a stop at the handgrip section, certain bowyers (some Tolke models from Montana Bows are notable examples) feature a riser that is noticably flatter along it's belly contour.

The result is that the belly laminations and glass run along the less ramp-y belly contour in one uninterupted piece, from limbtip to limbtip. Separate timber and/or micarta sections are also glued to the outside of the belly glass to allow for the shaping of a locator-style grip.

My question to you guys is - has anyone built their risers in this way? how do you find it?

To my enthusiastic but relatively inexperienced eye, all I see is upside - far gentler fades that should be easier to clamp for glueing, one-piece belly lams and glass - fewer parts to fiddle with and keep in place for glueing. It seems that the glass running uninterrupted thru the riser is bolstering the strength of the riser too.....

Commonsense suggests to me that there must also be potential pitfalls - I guess the glueing of the supplementary riser parts to the belly glass is extra work....but that's enough out of me - please guys I'd appreciate any input and experiences you could inform me with!!

Thanks,
Darren

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 31 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like this?

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=014229#000010

It works fine, not the old style look, but then D/Rs don't look like English longbows either anyway... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 11976 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done two bows in this fashion. It does make the initial glue up a little easier as you can dowel all the lams at a single location in the center of the riser.
The first bow I added the extra riser piece in a separate glue up. On the second bow I glued it all in one step. I preferred the two step glue up. Takes a little more time, but you have more control and fewer pieces to keep lined up.

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 725 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bvas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bvas   Email Bvas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

--------------------
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Posts: 725 | From: Ohio | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gentlemen!

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 31 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©