Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Radius for Semi-Recurve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Radius for Semi-Recurve
peter61
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter61   Email peter61   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tradgangers!
I want to build a straight limbed semi-recurve bow. Question is, which radius should I draw for the form?

Greetings, Peter

Posts: 39 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that on my Glass, R-D bows they start to hold a recurve at about the 28" radius mark... There are a lot of variables though such as taper and such... Plus You are building a straight limb so things will be a little different... Hope this helps...
Posts: 286 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter61
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter61   Email peter61   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx Shredd for the input.
The background for my question is, I would like to build a 50's recurve, which are more or less straight limbed, semi-recurves. So my idea is, no or less reflex and slight curves.
So, I'm open for all ideas!

Posts: 39 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sant-Ravenhill
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sant-Ravenhill   Email Sant-Ravenhill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the original poster, but I would love to hear from others. Thanks.
Posts: 429 | From: Montana | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd start drawing some straight lines that curve at the end and see what looks good to your eye. My personal estimate would be a 6" radius.

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 661 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenH:
I'd start drawing some straight lines that curve at the end and see what looks good to your eye. My personal estimate would be a 6" radius.

me 2

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6" radius? 12" diameter? No. Too small, IMO. But many work... many are good.

Besides that... I don't like to see it referenced as a simple radius because I think most work better as accelerated curves, as it nears the tips.

Posts: 2388 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KISS factor on this one

--------------------

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever see the recurved tips of a Scythian bow? 48" bow with recurves less than 4" in radius. You're right, the recurves are usually not just tangential to the line of the limb, but I have seen some that way, and it's a good place to start -- 6" radius but only 1/4 of a circle...

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

I see what you are talking about.
pretty cool ken

--------------------

peter61
Member # 4597

Thanks for the input, guys!
You are very helpful.
Four inch radius and a quarter of a circle sounds good to me.

Gretings, Peter

LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw out the profile of the bow when it is strung as you want it, then measure the radius of curvature, then make it slightly smaller for the form since they will bend some when you string it.

K.I.S.S. .... keep it simple stupid.

Posts: 2979 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loft
Member # 46757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loft   Email Loft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All
New here. Been lurking for a while, and could remember this thread:
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=014115#000001

Just searched for “vintage”

Loft

Posts: 2 | From: Denmark | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

I was trying to remember the name of that article! Thanks for posting it!!

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©