Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » How do you make laminations? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you make laminations?
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planet works fine if your cutters are sharp and you have favorable grain. Still need to rough them up though.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2053 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be worried about the planer ripping out small chunks?
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Grizzly 14" band saw and a Grizzly Baby drum sander.
I bought some lam sleds from Kenny and I have been making them myself .

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1864 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't happen wif out pichers...
Posts: 11328 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't always tell what the grain is doing by looking at it... grain being different that growth rings. I sent some osage through the planer two days ago that looked perfectly quartersawn, but it still tore out a little where the actual grain was running out. Sometimes spinning the piece end for end allows it to cut without tearing out. The drum sander does an equally fine job regardless of grain direction.

I sometimes use the planer to true things up as a board, or sometimes as an oversized lam, but leave enough thickness to cut and/or grind below any damage caused by the planer, with the drum sander.

Posts: 2380 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canopyboy
Contributor 2017
Member # 24537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canopyboy   Email canopyboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. I only know how favorable the grain is after the first pass. Although as you square up your stock, you can tell by looking at any surfaces run through a planer or across a jointer. Bit that's a lot of work and a little luck.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Posts: 2053 | From: Fairfax Station, Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©