Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » DIY Profiling Sanders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIY Profiling Sanders
Cicada
Member # 46688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cicada   Email Cicada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering what most guys are using for profiling sanders and if anyone has made their own?
Would love to see pics...

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeaterbait
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would as well. Hopefully someone will have something on here soon.

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 364 | From: Kearney, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

here is mine----

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1349 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Y
2017 Contributor
Member # 45671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Y   Email Tim Y   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike that's great. Did you build the guide?
I think I'll try to make some sort of guide for my sander.
It looks like dust collection is nonexistent. Have to just live with that.
-Tim

--------------------
- Be good to yourself. -

Dwyer Defiant #55@28
Bootleg Bows -longbow 64" #43@28
Red Oak, Board Bow -66" #42@28
Ben P, Mercury Hunter -60" #45@28

Posts: 21 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup--its a 1/4" plate of hot roll-with the rub collar welded from the bottom and ground flush-it sits on the existing end table-with two machine screws keeping it in place-the dust collection is removed for clarity--its a chute that bolts on with those two bolts behind the wheel and gets piped over head to the other side of the room---if you build more than a few bows its the only way to go

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 1349 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone built a profiling sander out of a oscillating spindle sander?
Posts: 220 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEP

A simple rub collar and 3/4" x 6" base (cold roll).

-
1/2" CR rod with a hex end so it doesn't slip in the chuck and two roll pins to keep it in the unit

-

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1863 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

--------------------
Mike

bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

--------------------
Mike

Tim Y
2017 Contributor
Member # 45671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Y   Email Tim Y   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, you appear to be speechless. 😶

I will not be able to build anything new until after Christmas. But your guide idea will benefit more then a few guys in our woodworking club. I'm looking forward to building something similar.
I have no idea how many of any one bow design I will build, at this point everything is a one off. I'm trying to build the bow that is both gorgeous and shoots like a dream.
Thanks
-Tim

--------------------
- Be good to yourself. -

Dwyer Defiant #55@28
Bootleg Bows -longbow 64" #43@28
Red Oak, Board Bow -66" #42@28
Ben P, Mercury Hunter -60" #45@28

Posts: 21 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kunzie
Member # 2445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kunzie   Email Kunzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very clever Mark! Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 14 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cicada
Member # 46688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cicada   Email Cicada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting and well thought out profiling sanders for any DIYer. Thumbs up to that. [Smile]

I also found these profiling sanders on another site.Though they might be a bit more expensive to build.
http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18866&start=10

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©