Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Bow performance (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bow performance
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kennym:

But, how can they be the same design with different lengths? [Big Grin]

Just surmising.
Posts: 727 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickmonkey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickmonkey   Email stickmonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kennym:

But, how can they be the same design with different lengths? [Big Grin]

That is where I am at with it. My last 56" shoots 186 @ 10gpp. I an thinking the one I am building now will be just a few feet faster still. Optimising the design for the size and good tillering I think is the key. There is a lot more going on with really short bows than When the TBB1 was penned. I still remember getting first copy in 92.

I suppose you have to ask yourself what your needs are and if you dont need a really short bow then go with the longer one but if you want a short twig for hunting with out sacrificing Accuracy, real Speed and Forgivness then look at the forward handle designs from makers like Big Jim, Tim Mullins and others as well as myself.

I dont think I am giving up anything in terms of real performance by shooting a 56" vs a 66" but I certainly do enjoy its short profile and how much of a joy it is to shoot.

--------------------
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Posts: 177 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all about design.
selfbow,D/R Osage 199fps
horn bow, well over 200

I made a BBI that shoots better than some of my glass bows.

Babboo back,and carbonized bamboo belly tri lams are over 190.

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1864 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
199 fps with a selfbow. That's very impressive Max. Was that with 10gpp arrow?
Posts: 131 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was 7 1/2

--------------------

Posts: 1864 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Wolftrail
CHECH this out, The Queen 279 fps
although these are flight bows and the arrows are around 4.5GPI they are fast.

https://redhawk55.wordpress.com/tag/flightshooting/

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©