Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Long Bow plans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Long Bow plans
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello guys, I'm ready to try again. I have a piece of red oak I can get a full 72 inches out of. Going for a 66 inch no frills, plain Jane beginning bowyers long bow. Does anyone know of some basic long bow dimensions or plans. Hopefully I can keep this one over 40# that's the legal hunting limit around here. Would love to come in at 45#.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 117 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya; built a few board bows broke 'em all, [scared] no fault of the wood. Took me a while to learn the fine art of tillering. There are lots of build a longs on those bows especially Oak. Just do a search on here or the search engine.

66" is great the longer the better. Just finished a laminate 67" NTN pulling about 46# @ 28".

=====================================
Myarchery
http://myarchery.byethost18.com

Posts: 743 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Max
SPONSOR
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Max   Email Mad Max   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good one, but without the pictures I don't know

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000122;p=2

--------------------
"nothing ventured ,nothing gained"

Posts: 1867 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's that Poor Folk guy who has good plans/directions.

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 663 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeaterbait
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeaterbait   Email skeaterbait   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

--------------------
Sometimes I porpoise, sometimes I fishtail. Maybe I should get back in the boat.

Posts: 381 | From: Kearney, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the guy. I wasn't sure about posting the full link as sometimes TG gets picky about that sort of stuff...

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 663 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cicada
Member # 46688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cicada   Email Cicada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check out Clay Hayes of Twisted staves on Youtube.....he's gonna be doing a build along of a board bow.
Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paleo Planet and Primitve archer is also loaded with that stuff.

=====================================
Myarchery
http://myarchery.byethost18.com

Posts: 743 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam Harper's website is awesome for beginners. He has a thorough, but not overly complicated way of explaining the keys issues to look out for when you are first starting out. And his bows are built with minimal power tools. Another plus for people just started out.
I would have never started making bows if I hadn't stumbled upon his site 2 years ago.

4est Trekker's build alone is great too, but I would imagine it's difficult to follow now that photobucket sucks.

Posts: 153 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 117 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say 2" at the fades and out 10" to half the limb then a straight taper to 1/2" at the tips(tips can be narrowed later to 3/8"). If your grain is somewhat iffy, I'd back the bow. Brown grocery bag paper is a good, strong backing that will help keep splinters down. You can also use silk(old neck ties or scarves from thrift stores or linen also from thrift store blouses, etc. You can use Tite Bond glue for these backings.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13207 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything PatB said. I'll only add that a pyramid design has worked very well for me with oak boards.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3014 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only made one pyramid red oak bow and it was backed with hickory. I have to say that that bow is tough as nails. I've let lots of folks shoot it, all different draw lengths and it still holds some of the original reflex.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13207 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look often for good hickory but it's not common in the west.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3014 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cicada
Member # 46688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cicada   Email Cicada   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUbLr1ItUzo
Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©