Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Trad archery in Canada

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trad archery in Canada
mrbxzzz
Member # 45706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrbxzzz   Author's Homepage   Email mrbxzzz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello fellow boywers,

Winter is in full swing up north and my smile from shooting my bows is fading with each day...

Aside from having cold hands ruining my shots, Are there any big issues with working a trad longbow in cold temperatures.

I get the water from snow would damage the wood, I'm wondering about simply the cold temperature and perhaps the dry air's effect on my longbows.

Any comments or advice are welcome

BRB

--------------------
BRB

Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Tsoukalas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Tsoukalas   Author's Homepage   Email George Tsoukalas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shoot self bows and have not had any problems in the cold. I have heard of some people having problems with yew bows in cold temperatures.
Jawge

Posts: 4862 | From: NH | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sancoon
Member # 42211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sancoon   Author's Homepage   Email sancoon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havn't had any problems with my long bows and I shoot all winter here in northern maine. I wear mittens with my string fingers cut off and that takes care of my cold hands

--------------------
Diamondback venom Custom Longbow #50
Bear Montana #60
John Strunk "The Spirite #56 "
USAF 1960-1980

Posts: 28 | From: Caribou Maine | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Osage is King. I can see some woods react differently in cold weather. Eastern Maple is exposed to the cold so I would say that its ok in a cooler climate. Most snow shoes are made from maple.
Not sure about Hickory. Oak and Ash seem to be cool temperate wood as well. Yew is mostly a semi arid wet wood in nature.

Some woods turn into soggy wet noodles in the heat and others turn brittle in the cold..
[archer]

Posts: 743 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fujimo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fujimo   Email fujimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dunno- we have a lot of yew up here in the rain forests- but cant speak for it in cold. only ever used it up here on the coast.
but i have hunted with osage self bows, and hickory and ipe bows both in the heat of africa, and the -20 c and lower alberta winters!!
never had a problem with any of them

Posts: 3230 | From: Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on wood species and how strained the bow is. A 'normal' bow is likely to be fine.
As with any selfbow string it and let it sit a few minutes then do a dozen or so 'warm up' short draws and gradually ease it back to full draw.
Yew can blow in the cold.

Posts: 911 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©