Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Flipping the tips and questions.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flipping the tips and questions.
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbob2   Email bigbob2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think I may have asked this question or a similar one before but it's just my senility kicking in.For the all wood guys, if you are making a osage self bow and want to flip the tips, is it done while the bow is[1] mostly as a stave,[2] when the worked stave is on the long string or [3] maybe closer to a finished tiller? As a point of interest could it also be done to a bow that has been finished and used for some time?
Posts: 1884 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at clay hayes youtube videos. He does a superb job walking through the process on several different bows at various stages of completion. One he flips the tips after it is floor tillered well. Another on a bow he has shot for several years i believe.

Msturm

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 585 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do it at any time. [Smile]
It shortens working limb, helps string angle hence stroes more energy.
I'ver seen people say ' I was getting a bit of set so flipped the tips to offset it' this is not the best way as the bow is already showing excess strain through the the set and flipping the tips simply increases strain....
Much better to actually design the bow with a slight recurve in mind eg. wide enough limbs than to do it to a finished bow or one much of the way through tillering.

Posts: 918 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbob2   Email bigbob2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Msturm and Mike. I will be working on a stave in near future and was asked to do the tips. It is only roughed out so will be able to incorporate it into the build.Both staves , this one and the one I built my bow from, have steam induced reflex as it is . Mine has about .75'' reflex before stringing after I have had 1000 or so shots so far and after a big shoot depending on weather conditions will have about .75'' "follow" which returns to status Quo after a while.It is snappy enough for me not to worry about inducing any " extra" curvature into the tips but it was just speculation as to possible outcomes.
Posts: 1884 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

Another question fellas, I had said stave on form outside my workshop [no room!] and we got hit with sudden rain storm, hence it got wet. Will it now take another year or so to lose all this moisture or will some extra steaming remove enough?
LittleBen
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steam isn't going to remove moisture, but getting it wet also isn't going to add another year to drying. When in doubt, do nothing. Or if you prefer the hypocritic approach (as in hypocratic oath) 'first do no harm'
Posts: 2983 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick it in yer heat box for a week at 90 degrees.
Posts: 11401 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fujimo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fujimo   Email fujimo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one rain storm is not going to do any harm- by the time you remove the excess wood- you will be good- when you cut it to shape- take some of the off cuts and check the mc on them if you have a moisture meter with pins
Posts: 3231 | From: Queen Charlotte Islands, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mikkekeswick:
You can do it at any time. [Smile]
It shortens working limb, helps string angle hence stroes more energy.
I'ver seen people say ' I was getting a bit of set so flipped the tips to offset it' this is not the best way as the bow is already showing excess strain through the the set and flipping the tips simply increases strain....
Much better to actually design the bow with a slight recurve in mind eg. wide enough limbs than to do it to a finished bow or one much of the way through tillering.

X2 on that note.
Posts: 747 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigbob2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35073

i totally agree wolftrail and mike. My bow doesn't need it merely curious as it was made with reflex in the design and hasn't adopted any string follow.This current bow the prospective owner has requested 'flipped tips' so will incorporate them into the design.Just wanted to be totally aware of best manner to go about it.

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©