Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Converting a 1 piece to a 2 piece takedown

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting a 1 piece to a 2 piece takedown
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Tradgangers.

I`ve got a 64" longbow that I built (my second bow ) that`s just laying around unused. So I thought I`ll convert it to a 2 piece takedown (easier to travel with). Also, it`ll be a fun experiment.

I`ve watched Big Jim`s 10 video series on his FG sleeve. His method looks a bit complicated. I also found this build along-
http://piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?p=97891

This one looks too simple...
I guess what I`m looking for lays someware in between. So if anyone have some experience on convertion a bow into a 2 piece, I`ll be more then happy to have some info.

If you need some pictures of the bow- let me know.

Thanks in advance
Dor

Posts: 246 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dazzad
Member # 46559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dazzad   Email Dazzad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Arachnid,
.....Too simple?? I had a look at the link and would not underestimate the difficulty of executing this take-down system in an accurate and functional fashion......Before i looked at the link I would have elected this system as the one I'd be most likely to adopt if I ever converted a one piece to a two piece, but I would not be expecting it to be a boring 'walk in the park' at all. Do so at your (and your bow's) peril [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I made a 'pickhandle takedown' as my first bow
with the metal sleeve method - fabricated my own steel and brass components and the project was a success. The sleeve assembly does not offer the same freedom to shape and personalise the grip however - you end up with a straight grip of oval cross-section and seems more at home on straight limbed self-bows perhaps....
Keep us up to date with what you decide mate and how it all goes

--------------------
Each day the devil whispered in my ear -"you will not withstand the storm."
Today I whispered in the devil's ear - " I am the storm..."

Posts: 36 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you cut it in two I would make the angle of cut so you have more pilot at least 1 inch on the belly side.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3169 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow Jims method to the letter and you will have a solid takedown.
You really need to have a strengthening I-beam type riser to start with though.
I have used this method on a finished 1 piece. If you watched the videos you will see that the method relies on having a dead flat side to the bow. To achieve this on a 1 piece you will need to use something like milput to build up the riser back past where you need it. Let it cure then grind your flat surface , the milput fills the low spots.
Once you have this done just follow the videos.

Posts: 914 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gundog68
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gundog68   Email Gundog68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it like Jim´s method but i do not use release agent i use a thin layer of this stretchable plastic film for wrapping food to be fresh.
Posts: 112 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arachnid
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arachnid   Email arachnid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, the bow I want to convert doesn't have an I beam riser.
Is it such a problem?

Posts: 246 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You my get by without the Ibeam. But for sure you are way better off with one. It is going to strengthen the shelf and sight window area. I use .090 G 10 off center away from the shelf.

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3169 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KenH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KenH   Author's Homepage   Email KenH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the more fascinating "take down" bows that I've seen is a Persian hinged bow.
 -

Simple flat hinge mounted on the back side of the bow at the center. I suppose you could even slightly "adjust" the amount of reflex by using a wedge between the two halves.

There is/was a modern made Connexion hinged developed specifically for bows that you may be able to find for sale.

--------------------
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Posts: 663 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©