Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Hickory and oak pyramid bow (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hickory and oak pyramid bow
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Stanley 220 circa 1910ish its 117 years old give or take and still works like new. Now that's ALL AMERICAN right there fellows.
 -

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 297 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decided to taper the belly a little bit as I could tell straight of it was stiff on the mid and outer limbs. Going to make a new long string then see were I'm at.

--------------------

Posts: 297 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Should I cut the handle area out before I start tillering?

--------------------

BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the fade areas nice and feathered to the limbs as you don't want any surprises if you do it later.
It's easier to keep the bow in the tiller cradle if the handle edges are square.

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 227 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Gotcha BMorv. I left some meat on the belly so I could do that, ive feathered it in, the last two I done were a pain because I had a heck of time keeping them level and still so this time I left the handle square. Just wondering when the best time to cut that out is.

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

-

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

BMorv are you a Morvant? I knew some Morvants from La. Beauregard parish area. Matter of fact I think i knew a Bret or Brent Morvant but that was 35 years ago.

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Well I ordered the Tbb complete set but #2 is on back order. Maybe I wont need it for awhile. I've ordered from 3rivers 3 times in the last month and a half, those guys are fast. Put an order in on Thursday I get it Monday, even the one I placed on thanksgiving day.
I went over board with the wood removal on this one AGAIN. So I stopped and regrouped. Impatience isn't usually my down fall. These last three attempts have taught me one thing if nothing else. The difference between a 50# and a 40# draw weight can be 1/32 of an inch on one board and 1/16 on another.
So I'm just going to laminate a piece of oak to the back of this one, hickory oak and oak. That will put me back to a 5/8 thickness and we will try again.

--------------------

BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry man, I usually disconnect from the internet (and the rest of the world) over the weekend.
Yep, it's Benton Morvant. I'm in Lafourche Parish. My great grandpa and his brother came over from France to my area. They each had 15 children, so we populated south Louisiana pretty quickly. Hahaha.
Yeah, read all that you can on bow building. TBB is a great reference. There's some conflicting information in there, but overall it's a great base to start with. If you have volume 1 and 4, immediately after you read the performance part on volume 1, read performance revisited in volume 4. They changed their viewpoint a lot from 1 to 4.

--------------------

Posts: 227 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Never been to Lafourche parish that I remember? Been through the Naw lens area many times but don't remember much of it. To many side trips down Bourbon street and all through the French quarter. Which reminds me I'm down to one can of tonys got to get online and order some, kinda hooked on that Cajun food.
Those books should be here soon looking forward to reading them.

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Put it back on the tree tomorrow, hope she tillers and shoots as good as I think she looks. Only a 1/4 inch of the handle is ERC. Its 1 5/8 all together.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

That looks a whole lot better. [thumbsup]

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Wont matter if she don't shoot LOL. I prettied up the handle area because I wanted to give that glue on the limbs 24 hours clamp time and another 24 cure time before I started stressing it. We shall see today.

--------------------

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks nice.
Posts: 11606 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does look nice but it also looks like the plane of the belly is the same plane of where the riser is glued to. This can lead to the handle area bending, if only slightly and this will cause the riser to pop off.
I like starting off with a 3/4" belly lam and reducing to about 5/8" so the riser and belly are not on the same plane, so the fades go down into the belly lam placing it above the belly plane. I hope that makes sense. If I had my picks back I'd show you what I mean.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13328 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©