Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start.
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm hoping the coloration and pattern also remain in good shape after sanding.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob at Work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob at Work   Email Bob at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Thanks!
Posts: 1157 | From: morrilton, arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a hard time finding Weldwood Plastic Resin. I've checked all my local options and gone on line. I can find it on line but the stuff with the normal price($6.95-$8.95 for 1# tub) is not available and where it is available they want almost $30 plus shipping(about $15).
I do have Urac185 but the last time I used it was 4 or 5 years ago and it was 3 or 4 years old then. Even though it has been in the frig since I still don't think I can trust it.
I can and may use TBIII if I can't find the Weldwood Plastic Resin.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+Weldwood+Plastic+Resin
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It went up in price. I bought the Weldwood plastic resin based on Pat's recommendation a couple months for $9 on amazon. I just glued up a tri-lam with it 2 days ago. I'll provide a review of it after I finish tillering it. I'm impressed with it so far.

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 226 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Thanks Roy. A PA member had bought a 4.5# tub a while back and offered to send me a baggie full. I found it for $25 to $30 on a few sites but the shipping was $15 to $17 bucks. I don't need it that bad.
Benton, looking forward to your review. I know I was impressed when I used it a few years ago. I learned about it many years ago when a PA member from Italy talked about it. Albi used it exclusively on his incredible backed and multi-lam bows he built.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yupper Pat..
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soy
Contributor 2014
Member # 35725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soy   Email soy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looking good so far [thumbsup]
Posts: 677 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

I got back at it this past week. First I covered the backing strip with masking tape to protect it at glue up...
 -

...then cut 3 thin pieces of wood of graduating lengths that will be the riser...
 -

...then time to glue it all together...
 -

...and the results...
 -

-

I'll sand the edges smooth, mark out the riser and cut it out. Then I'll pre-tiller the lemonwood belly to prepare for glue-up.
to be continued...

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

I did a little more work today. First I sanded the sides of the handle area flat so I could mark it all out...
 -
 -

...then I marked out the side view of the handle and fades and marked the beginning limb thickness(5/8"), done with the backing included...
 -
 -

Next will be rough shaping the side profile of the handle and reduce to the initial limb thickness. ...to be continued...

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you cutting a shelf into that bow. What is the measurement from end fade to end fade.? I'm thinking 12".
Posts: 781 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 inch handle and four inch fades I believe he said.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 292 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BMorv:
It went up in price. I bought the Weldwood plastic resin based on Pat's recommendation a couple months for $9 on amazon. I just glued up a tri-lam with it 2 days ago. I'll provide a review of it after I finish tillering it. I'm impressed with it so far.

$9.. in Canada I paid $42 shipping included for a one pound tub.
Posts: 781 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

4" handle centered on the bow, 4" fades. The limbs are 1 1/2" out 12" then tapering to 3/4" tips(for now, will finish out at 3/8").
No, I won't be cutting in a shelf. The bow will have a bulbous handle and I may add a small leather rest at the arrow pass.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly question, will the 12 inch riser area be stiff through the fades then 28 inches of working limb? I'm looking at the pic with the side view of the riser lay out. I know that's a rough out line but looks like it will be stiff.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 292 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©