Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hickory backed lemonwood ALB build along the start.
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I'm tillering I'll bring the working limb back to or into the fades. This will be a stiff handled bow, not a bendy. The ALBs are stiff handled.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeeNY
Contributor 2017
Member # 1447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeeNY   Email LeeNY   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat, It's looking good so far. I've always enjoyed your build a longs. I've learned a lot!

Thanks,
Lee

Posts: 1513 | From: Central NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lee. Just passing on what others taught me.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking nice, Pat..
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

I need to get back on it but my basement shop is too cold now, not PA cold but NC cold. [saywhat]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

I did a little wood removal by sawing along the drawn lines on both sides of each limb at about a 45deg angle. This removed enough wood so I can see a little bend when I floor tiller...
 -

-

-

I also cut the fade areas...
 -

It's just too damned cold in my basement shop(34deg) to work down there so as soon as this cold snap breaks I'll use a rasp to pre-tiller the limbs so I get a smooth, even bend then I'll be ready for glue-up.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man oh man.......that is shaping up nicely. [thumbsup]

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15957 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good, Pat. Was -3 here this morning.
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

We were +3, Roy but my shop was 34. We have a January thaw coming this week. Tonight is the last below freezing for a week..with rain...which we need.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

The shop got up to 40 so I did a little more work today. I started by rasping the belly to the line I drew along the side. I'm crowning the belly now as I remove wood but will flatten it out later. Lemonwood is susceptible to fretting so I'll flatten the belly to allow the stresses to be evened out instead of concentrated down the crown. I clean up the tool marks with scraper after each wood removal and I round the belly corners to prevent splinters. I found that lemonwood splinters fester pretty bad.
 -

...I marked an area that got cut a bit thin as I removed the corners with the bandsaw with "X"s so I stay away from it until the rest of the limb is at that thickness...
 -

...after removing wood from both limbs and smoothing out the tool marks with a scraper I floor tillered both limbs. This area where the oval is is a stiff spot where I will scrape until it's the same as the rest...
 -

Next I drew another line about 1/8" below the other line down both sides of both limbs to be the next area to remove wood too...
 -

...when I do this I go from tip to tip, through the handle to insure both limbs are the same thickness on both sides...
 -

That's all for today.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

I did a little more work today. In can see in the pics I need to scrape a little more so I have a nice even bend in both limbs.
This is the glue-up form I'll be using. The blocks at the tips are 3 1/4" where the tips rest and the handle area drops about 2" to the base. It's not much reflex but I think plenty for this style bow. After shooting in the bow should be pretty flat.
 -

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

soy
Contributor 2014
Member # 35725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soy   Email soy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 677 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Still have plenty of strength even without the backing so I'll remove more wood and get her bending smoother.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Looks nice, Pat.
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good Pat.
Is there a reason you don't see many people using lemonwood anymore? Is it supply or just that we found better exotics to use? Ipe for instance. I've read about lemonwood being used a lot in the past, but this is the 1st current build I've seen in my 2 years of trying to build bows.

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 226 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©