Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » A simple longbow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A simple longbow
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't made myself a bow in a couple years, so with our bow season over, I got after it. I find myself gravitating more and more to simplicity, so this one is all osage and nothing else. I've actually had the materials for this one since early last spring, but finally got to gluing it up over Thanksgiving weekend.

It's a reverse handle ASL, 68" long and 57# at 28".

-

-

-

-

My goal was to make it the same as my last bow I made for myself which I shot my buck with this past season (the bow in my hero pic below).

-

I hit the mark! I shot them side by side using the same arrows, and I can't tell the difference between them. Just what I wanted and these two bows will be coming with me to Bear Quest in June.

Now I just need Gary Hall to make me up some arrows to match it. You know - I have to color coordinate [laughing]

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3485 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice... glad it came out the way you wanted it...
Posts: 325 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty, love them reverse handles

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1213 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolftrail
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolftrail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one.
Posts: 782 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice John!! I bet that is a shooter!!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12204 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. It looks like you brought the arrow shelf down close to center or is it the camera angle? Did you do tip wedges on this bow?

I'm getting closer and closer to trying one. Yours Is tipping me over the edge. [Smile]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3092 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice it looks awesome !
Posts: 84 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goobersan
Contributor 2018
Member # 35312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goobersan   Email goobersan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
......... loading.........

Posts: 800 | From: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter61
Member # 4597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter61   Email peter61   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking bow!
Posts: 40 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks nice, John.
Posts: 11606 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks like it would be a smooth shooting bow. Nice work.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13328 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

monterey - It must be the camera angle. The shelf is 1 7/8" above center of the bow. No tip wedges.

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3485 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the strung profile. Did you use a conventional flat form and just flip it?

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3092 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Yes. Flat form and then cut the string grooves the wrong way. It kind of messes with your mind a bit [laughing]

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. The focus of the bow is the nice workmanship and not the fancy materials.

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1886 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©