Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » Tip for room Temp. Cure (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tip for room Temp. Cure
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if anyone else is doing this...

Here is a tip for those who lay-up their bows at room temperature... If the temp. gets below 70 degrees or you want to speed up the curing process, Wrap your form in an electric blanket and then cover it with a another blanket or comforter...

Happy Holidays Folks...

Posts: 324 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping bags [Smile]
Posts: 937 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowjunkie
Contributor 2014
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowjunkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now, that's not room temperature then is it? [dunno] [jumper] [laughing]
Posts: 2412 | From: Pa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[biglaugh]

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3208 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredd that's a good idea. I'm not up to that level yet with my bow making. However ive used electric blankets in an unheated shop for glue ups on furniture, rockers for chairs and such. I also use them on occasion in a t-pee fashion when I have a finish curing and the temps will drop to low. They work great, and you can get them dirt cheap at yard sells or goodwill. Thanks for sharing a cool trick.
Merry Christmas

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 292 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Mr. Carpenter in Florida.

I need to come down there and build ya a hot box? [Smile]

Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ringbill
Member # 43547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ringbill   Email Ringbill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the winter when the heat is on I will take it inside and place your form next to a heat register and cover it with a couple blankets. Sure, the room may cool down but the bow won't
Posts: 23 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shredd   Email Shredd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon down Roy... Don't forget your suntan lotion and your water wings... [Smile]

I got three hot boxes... 6' one, 4' one and tiny one for keeping my epoxy warm... I just use them to post cure my bows... I don't like putting my forms in the oven... Limited space made me keep my boxes to the small side. The light bulbs are to one side and I feel the it heats one side of the form too much and could could warp it...

The blanket works great for those chilly days down here... Maybe if I plug it into the 220 line I could post cure my bows and get rid of my boxes all together... [Smile]

Posts: 324 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crooked Stic
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crooked Stic   Email Crooked Stic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know how the 220 works [scared] [scared]

--------------------
High on Archery.

Posts: 3208 | From: Princeton IN. | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Climb the pole and go 440! [biglaugh]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3088 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Now we're Talking... LOL... Maybe a sprinkle gasoline and plug it in while standing in a puddle of water...
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[biglaugh]

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3088 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellowwood
Member # 46790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellowwood   Email Yellowwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using the elec blanket for a while caught the idea out of Adam Korpwicz composite bow book I'm using it as we speak on a BBH bow this morning ,if you use 2 of them folded over I can get 130 % F I need to build a proper hot box my problem is room in the shop !
Posts: 78 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shredd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45311

Trust me... I think you will be fine with that... Too much heat can mess things up, increase pressure in hose, warp forms, dry out and crack wood... People build bows without any heat at all... And them damn boxes take up a lot of precious room...
mikkekeswick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikkekeswick   Email mikkekeswick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredd:
Trust me... I think you will be fine with that... Too much heat can mess things up, increase pressure in hose, warp forms, dry out and crack wood... People build bows without any heat at all... And them damn boxes take up a lot of precious room...

Those are all problems to do with using wood at too high an m.c. not heat problems [Wink]
When your wood is at the correct m.c. you won't have any of those problems.

Posts: 937 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©