Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » More flat bow tiller check please. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More flat bow tiller check please.
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally with board bows twists is because of differences in thickness and usually only shows up under tension, braced. Sometimes it could be the way the board was sawn with uneven ring thickness. With any selfbows a little twist doesn't hurt the bow but if uneven enough the twist will increase the farther the bow is drawn.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well got the twist out but you brace it and the string goes right outa wack. Checked the alignment t2t through handle its good unstrung. Filed nocks as far as i dare no good. Checked every edge for square and thickness its all good. It didn't do this till i got it tillered down? Never had this happen even the bows that came out bad had good string alignment. I don't know how to explain the grain but is slightly different on one side of upper limb. I cant trim the handle any further so I'm going to shoot it as is with the side string is closer to as strike plate. Its almost a center shot. Can i do that? Going to anyway if i cant fix it.

--------------------
If I'm breathing, I have nothing to complain about.

Posts: 292 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably the grain causing it. Be careful shooting it if it's too bad.
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold my beer and watch this $%^&.

--------------------

Posts: 292 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

I figured it out guys, to embarrassed to say what it was but it all makes perfect sense now.
Well ill do it for the new guys in case their reading this. When you make a flat bow or any bow that tapers at some point make sure ya round them shoulders out nice and gradual like, but most importantly make sure they match! The twist showed up after the pic was taken and i had just adjusted the taper to the tip and didn't check. It wasn't really noticeable but after putting the slide rule on it one shoulder was slightly higher. So i fixed that and now the string runs true??????? so that had to have been it.
Just like i used to tell the new guys, check double check then check it again if ya want a pay check. Plum embarrassing it is.

--------------------

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, does the bow lay flat if unbraced?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Rookies. LOL glad it worked out for you. Don't feel bad, it happens.
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Pat, no it doesn't lay flat, Why?. But I have a 6 foot piece of 2 inch steel tubing that I padded with duct tape. I put the bow on it and clamp it to my work bench at the handle area so i have a nice flat solid base to work from. I can clamp it flat if needed. That's how i found the off shoulder I traced it out on poster board then flipped the pattern over and it didn't match. When i say i used a SLIDE RULE that means I used my red neck ingenuity on some thing. Next bow i will make limb patterns on poster board and draw out the shoulders instead of eyeballing them. Lesson learned.

--------------------

Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

John, with a board bow it should lay flat on it's back except for any set it may have taken. You should also be able to see where the twist is. With a sawn board, ring variation could cause twist even if the limb thickness is even. In that case you'll just have to tiller the twist out. If you can draw the bow to full draw and that eliminates the twist, it's good to go. With a wood bow full draw is where it matters.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Thanks Pat, It will lay flat as you described i thought you meant t2t flat. Didn't see any twist like that unstrung then i thought of checking my shoulders. Cool thing is it had one inch of set from the start now it has two which means i only put an inch of set in it which is good from what I've read about red oak. I was going to ask about tillering that out if I encounter one that needs it.
As far as wood bows and full draw is all that matters I've read that concerning staves, so I'm assuming it applies to boards as well?

--------------------

YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy to be "listening" in on this discussion. Great insights.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 720 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

I follow your post to Sam, it is a great way to learn. Just so ya know my limbs are even lengths and tillered even as I shoot three under like you.

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

The bow measurements match at 5 inch intervals when drawn to different lengths. Cant get a good pic so I took two with the bow flipped around in each. Have messed with it all day. Still got #52.5 @28 so its still possible to come real close to my goal of #50 I hope.
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

How bout this one?
 -

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©