Please note that Trad Gang forum registrations have been suspended between
Sunday, March 18th, and Monday, March 26th,
during our conversion/migration move to a new server and new forum software.
We apologize for this inconvenience - please do come back, y'all!

Trad Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad » Main Forums » The Bowyer's Bench » YOUR dream job? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: YOUR dream job?
John Malone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 46247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Malone   Email John Malone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody in America is going to work for free its illegal anyway. But I had a fellow once who I really wanted to work for offer me minimum wage for my skilled labor on a trial basis to see if it would work out and after 30 days we would renegotiate. When I started my own business that's the way I hired people. That way if it doesn't work out I'm only out a few bucks. Every one I know does it that way. You have to prove your work ethic and skill BEFORE you get full pay. So an entry level wage and a probationary period maybe something to consider.

Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Posts: 584 | From: Richmond County North Carolina | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmorris   Author's Homepage   Email rmorris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make an awesome product and I hope you find the person that can follow in the footsteps of what you have built. Check out your local community college machining department. A graduating student may have just enough knowledge to do what you want and you can train them before someone else teaches them bad habits. I hope you find your person and continue to make your beautiful bows!

"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Posts: 1261 | From: Midland, Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Contributor 2013
Member # 21858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleBen   Email LittleBen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may chime in with my two cents:

It's not likely you will find someone with that range of skills and experience without really shelling out the bucks.

I would recommend you refocus on what your end goal is; expand.
It sounds like you wanna increase output, but also wanna stay in the shop, and I think you're "ideal person" is more of a list of all the things you currently have to deal with yourself but wanna hand off, and I get that.
I would consider the possibility of contracting some of the specialized work. Truthfully I think you need 2 or 3 people.

One person (maybe part time) on premises who can take on some of the shop tasks like CNC etc. and free you up for the work you prefer.
One person (maybe part time) who can manage customer service, social media, marketing, maybe the website and the bookkeeping ... were talking about a secretary/office manager or something in that ballpark.

For the photo, video, editing, graphic design and maybe also website depending if you need design work or just updating... these are all professions in themselves and you may do better to find a local small business (or businesses) that does this work and work something out. I have a good friend who does this kinda work and I'm telling you, the quality these guys and gals can deliver is beyond. Not to mention, just the equipment to really deliver is extremely expensive.
May cost a lot less to contract out the work a few hours here and there, than pay 40/week for an over the top incredible employee who can do a million things.

If you can expand enough maybe you bring those two people on full time in 2019 ....

My overall thought being that you might be able to hire those two positions I mentioned for the same as you'd pay for one person with that incredible extensive skill set, and neither one of them will have all the skills to leave the business and become a competitor.

Posts: 2984 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 43243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Incognito1         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dream job is professional couch sitter and internet time waster/tv watcher. I ain't young though..... Might be willing to relocate if you have another position that better fits my skillset......
Posts: 10 | From: missouri | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad ©