JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2009 » An Oklahoma season (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Oklahoma season
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a chance to post the full story so I thought I would put it on here. I plan on doing some hunting later this month and I will add anything I get.
I hadn't had alot of time to hunt this year due to other responsibilities but I had a good knowledge of the area I was hunting and had done alot of pre-season scouting so I felt confident as I slipped into my stand on the morning of the 18th of November, a few days before Oklahoma's 16 day gun season.
The wind was perfect and I planned for an all day sit. I saw a doe just out of range and then a spike followed and swung closer to my stand a few minutes later but I passed the shot, another doe and forkhorn passed by within range coming from the opposite direction and I passed again. At around 8:00 a solitary doe passed by and looked from her body language that she was being followed. I got ready for a shot as she passed and then noticed movement straight ahead. No!! I thought, as my nemisis for the season emerged and began traveling towards my downwind side along the ridge behind me.
It was an old doe marked by a scar on her front left leg that has given me nothing but trouble for several years now. She always seems to get the better of my placement. Anyway she caught my scent and departed, blowing and snorting all the way.
At 8:45 I noticed movement and saw this guy coming my way traveling crosswind on a path that would lead him with within good range. I hadn't seen or gotten any trailcam pictures of anything bigger than this one so I got ready to shoot. He closed the gap quickly and I drew, ducking to avoid the tree limb above me due to my hurried stand placement, aimed low and pulled off the shot. I later stepped it off at 19 yards. A complete pass-through right where I was looking. I watched as he piled up within sight. I thank God for the privilage of hunting and harvesting such a beautiful animal.

My equipment: TallTines recurve 70# & 29", Gt 75/97 arrows and 160 Gr. Snuffers for a total arrow weight of around 650 Gr.
The buck weighed 175 lbs field dressed. The biggest bodied deer I have ever shot.

-  -

[ December 01, 2009, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Michael Arnette ]

Posts: 2532 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluegrassbowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluegrassbowhunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good shooting on a "DANDY" buck....good luck on the hunting later this month...

--------------------
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Posts: 1454 | From: Harrodsburg, Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice! whats that bow you got there!

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Michael!

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pitbull
Contributor 2014
Member # 18540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitbull   Email pitbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A true trophy, Congrats! [thumbsup]
Posts: 1397 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11731 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great buck!! Great story! I lived in OK for five years. Graduated OSU in '96. Love the pictures. I live in MI now but have a lifetime OK hunting license and your pictures make me want to plan a trip back!
Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would you look at that shot placement --- wow

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4133 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joevan125
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joevan125   Email joevan125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a great buck. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Posts: 2990 | From: Birmingham AL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone the Hunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 16988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boone the Hunter   Email Boone the Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice buck, looks like you smoked him, good job!

--------------------
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Posts: 432 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stykbow62
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stykbow62   Author's Homepage   Email Stykbow62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations !

--------------------
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Posts: 164 | From: Humble, Tx | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
[bigsmyl] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30671 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickhunter 81
2017 Contributor
Member # 21960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickhunter 81   Email stickhunter 81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice shootin!!
Posts: 91 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaftslinger
Member # 22228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shaftslinger   Email shaftslinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool deal..

--------------------
60" Checkmate Falcon 49# @ 28"
Hoyt Alpha Max 35

Posts: 11 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocks
Member # 21584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great buck, great shot, congrats!
Posts: 57 | From: Grande Cache, Alberta | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©