JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » COLORADO - Colorado Traditional Archers Society » Front Range Gobblers - SW Denver'ish

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Front Range Gobblers - SW Denver'ish
Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homebru   Email Homebru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everybody,
For the past several years, I've managed to let the Spring Turkey application dates get past me. I plan to change that this year.

Just curious if anybody's willing to share even just a little bit of info on hunting the Front Range. I don't spend as much time hiking the area as I should. Any tips or tricks are appreciated.
Regards,
homebru aka nathan in parker

Posts: 1239 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
britt
Contributor 2015
Member # 12124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt   Email britt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I have seen alot of turkeys around Storm Mt. area west of Loveland. Also I have hunted them on Ft. Carson. And around Canon City. Good luck

--------------------
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Posts: 948 | From: Greeley,Colorado | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rampart range up towards Deckers

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2156 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Falcon
Member # 37658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Falcon   Email Blue Falcon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second that toward Deckers. I usually always catch a glance at 10-15 turkeys in a group out there.
Posts: 54 | From: tx | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homebru   Email Homebru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help.
homebru

Posts: 1239 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pac'em out
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pac'em out   Email Pac'em out   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Nathan. I plan on chasing birds more this year as well.
Posts: 236 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

Just got a new decoy. Gotta go, now.
homebru

old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What deke did you get?

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Posts: 2156 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

The Best Turkey Decoy
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

quote:
Originally posted by Homebru:
The Best Turkey Decoy

that simulates a jake right??? I've got one of those B-Mobile or whatever it's called, haven't had much luck with it, just use my hen decoys, picked up some of the Avian X hens last year, the one tom that came in really went nuts and acted fool with one of them, then I screwed up the gimme shot and that was my one chance.

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

Yes, a jake. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
Thanks
homebru

Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

Gobble, gobble. Anybody got any experience out Fort Morgan, Sterling way?

When I've looked on the Rampart, it's too early. Not much else for public land in Douglas County.

homebru

old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Nathan, in the area around Ft Morgan, the only unit with SWA's is unit 096 and its a draw unit. All the other units that are OTC are by and large private property. Most of the really good turkey habitat is in 096 along the river. 96 has a split season, the first season generally takes 6 or 7 points and the second season only takes 2 or 3. Me and Judy drew the second season this year out there. 96 is worth building the points for. If it's a cold spring like last two years, then I think the second season is the way to go, probably don't matter if your shotgunning as they don't have to get as close. My buddies drew the first season last year, the Toms just wouldn't commit and come in, if it's the same this year then hopefully the second season will be good.

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Reading the original post from last year, just want to make sure you realize you can aquire two points a year spring and fall count for both. Make yourself a calendar note in your phone so you get reminded:)

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Homebru
Contributor 2017
Member # 3018

David,
Thanks for the info.
Regards,
homebru

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©