JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Kodiak Specials 1955-1967 Identification Guide (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Specials 1955-1967 Identification Guide
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill -

I do NOT believe the bow is mis-marked.

I would say that the 60" Kodiak Special is just that, a 60" Kodiak Special that was made with the straight limbs. Perhaps late in 1956 when they were working on the forms for the 1957 Kodiak Special, they made this bow.

In 1956 Specials were advertised in the catalog in 60", 64" and 68" lengths.

In 1957 Specials were advertised in the catalog in 62", 64", 66" and 70" lengths, but not 60" or 68".

Although the 68" was not advertised, it was made. I got one from Bjorn a few years ago and since have seen two others.

My guess is that Bear also made at least a limited number of 60" Specials like yours, as they made 60" Specials the two previous years in 1955 and 1956.

Your 60" Special has the multi-layered "I" beam that was used in 1955 and 1956 Kodiak Specials. It has from 5 to 8 thin laminations in the center of the "I" beam. I have a few very early 1957 Kodiak Specials that also have that 1955-56 multi-layered "I" Beam.

Logically, your 60" Kodiak Special fits right into the scheme of things with its multi-layered "I" beam, 60" length, straight limb design of the 1957 form, and helps tell the story of the evolution of the Kodiak Specials.

I would call your bow, a 60" 1957 Kodiak Special with a multi-layered "I" beam and brown glass.

Do you want me to just send you a blank check for the bow [Wink] Or do you have a trade in mind?

[ August 13, 2009, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Wade Phillips ]

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kurtbel5
Contributor 2014
Member # 12461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kurtbel5   Email kurtbel5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you got a "Big Mojo" bow Tim

For me my loss was great grandpa's matched set of BP dueling pistols, sold by the family In-laws or should I say out-laws?

Posts: 1227 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I saw one of my old 1959 Kodiak Specials, a real looker. No camera with me...

Wrote down the number, boy it is really an odd number ...

1959 64", 41# - 30HX1R, no underlays,

Just added her to the list and notice it has nearly the same sequence as Chuck’s 62”…

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimberlineX
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimberlineX   Email TimberlineX   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's yet another classic Kodiak Special to add to the list. This one is a 1962 Kodiak Special with a striking Brazilian Rosewood riser.

-

The serial number is 26AJ201 and the specifications are 66" and 48#. This is a bow I just recently picked up in trade and its already proven to be a fine shooter. Those long 66-inch limbs draw smooth as silk and shoot surprisingly fast.

The soft green Bearglass facing and backing compliment the tropical hardwood riser.

-

-

Gosh it’s fun to find and shoot these early target bows!

Bill Krenz
Colorado

Posts: 126 | From: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bill - Nice 1962 Kodiak Special. Haven't recorded any serial numbers except for the 1959 Kodiak Specials...

Just added these three to the 1959 List

1959 64", 40# - WC839 - no underlays - Auction 8-30-09
1959 66", 40# - XB626 - Auction 8-30-2009
1959 66", 40# - XA591 - no underlays - Auction 8-22-09

--------------------

alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaskabowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email alaskabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade- correct the listing for my 62 incher, VA228 does have underlays, sorry for the error. The 60" brown glass '57 Kodiak Special is a rare bow, only one I have ever seen or heard of. That may be a one of a kind example there, very collectible.

--------------------
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Posts: 791 | From: minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Chuck - Made the correction for your 62", VA228 with underlays.

That 60" straight limb Special is the only one I have heard of, but been at it long enough not be be surprised to see more turn up. We have seen that happen time and again in the past. First one turns up, then a second, then more.

Continuing to discover and learn new things keeps collecting interesting.

The unknown and unlocking the mysteries are part of what makes collecting these old bows so much fun.

--------------------

Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bill,

The 60" 1956/57 Kodiak Special arrived an hour ago. What a little sweetheart. Cleaned her up a bit, but need some renovation. Made on a much smaller riser than the 62" 1957 Kodiak Specials.

Shown below with three other Kodiak Specials...

Top to Bottom
62" 1956/1957 Transition Bow
62" 1956/1957 Transition Bow
60" 1956/1957 Different Frame
60" 1956 Standard Bow

-

--------------------

450 marlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 450 marlin   Email 450 marlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1961 KS 66" 40# STAR stamped with no serial number
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 1239 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one to add Wade

59 KS YC039 68" 39# No underlays
 -

Trap

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4372 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Roy - That 61 KS really has nicely contrasting grain, tight on the shelf side and open on the coin side.

Trap - Nice 68" 1959 KS. The burled grain in the sight window is super, about as nice as I've ever seen. Added it to the list of 59s on the first page.

--------------------

Jeremy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 4149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy   Email Jeremy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Posts: 5065 | From: East Haddam, CT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
damascusdave
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for damascusdave   Email damascusdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is time to take this thread back to the top for another run.

DDave

--------------------
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Posts: 3554 | From: Mirror, Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
damascusdave
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for damascusdave   Email damascusdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photobucket is working again so I will add a couple of pics.

The bow has been reassigned to whitetail duty.

DDave  -  -

--------------------
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Posts: 3554 | From: Mirror, Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
damascusdave
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

quote:
Originally posted by sticknstring+:
Great thread Wade!

Been gone for a few days and missed alot of good stuff.

I dont have a 59 for the list(Yet!), but here's the one's I do have....
two 61's, a 63 and a 66.
 -
 -

I notice that your 63 has micarta on the upper end of the riser. Mine only has it below the shelf.

I have to say that I am not a great fan of micarta accents. Black and white just do not belong on a bow that is essentially varying shades of brown and red brown.

My 64 Polar has green and white overlays and that is a little more reasonable.

DDave

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©