JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Kodiak Specials 1955-1967 Identification Guide (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Bear Kodiak Specials 1955-1967 Identification Guide
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim - A lot of the 1950s Kodiak Specials have the same finish problems in the recurved area like yours. Maybe BowDoc can give us an explanation about what is going with the finish there.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2229 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimZeigler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimZeigler   Author's Homepage   Email TimZeigler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade, I noticed that as well and it was predominately on the 55-56's that I've seen this. Maybe it was something with the grey glass and the type of finish. It doesn't affect the the way the bow shoots at all, and the wrinkled finish is still pretty tough finish, I can't get it to pick off with my fingernail like brittle finish would. Feels like wrinkled plastic. I'd be interested in knowing more.

--------------------
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters Member
Bowhunters of South Carolina-County Rep (Dorchester)

Posts: 1659 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll post up some pics and info about those Tim.Thats actually somewhat common on those years and it is not in the finish.Those little wrinkled plastic-ie like feeling stuff is really in the fiberglass.I have a 1956 all striped down out in my shop.I will get some pics up asap.
Wade are we posting all the year KS in this post ? the reason I ask is I have to do some book work today which sucks.But I do have several ledgers I've recorded every bow I've worked on or let me say 90% of them.I would be happy to post up all the year Specials I have recorded ???? bd

Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc - Yes, lets use this thread to post all the info on the Kodiak Specials. That way anyone can look here and find what they want to know about them, if it is ID or misc information.

Thought I might go back through the list and ask each owner to tell us if the bows are original or restored. May held understand some of the data a little better when we begin to analyze it.

--------------------

Posts: 2229 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JavelinaHink
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JavelinaHink   Email JavelinaHink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade...my 59 KS with no-underlays is original.

--------------------
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Posts: 601 | From: Ida, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimZeigler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimZeigler   Author's Homepage   Email TimZeigler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Doc, looking forward to seeing the pics.

This is turning out to be a great thread. Something like this might be done on a regular basis, where all the info can be combined for specific models. I've thought about going back thru all the post in this forum and documenting all the information on discussed models.

--------------------
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters Member
Bowhunters of South Carolina-County Rep (Dorchester)

Posts: 1659 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok here's a 1956 Kodiak Special..R XM482 60" 36#@26"...bd  -
Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

I was thinking we should add this stuff about the indentations to restoration 101.It will take up a lot of space on our KS thread.Let me know what you guy's think.bd  -
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

I've actually seen those same spots of broken fibers on almost every year and every make bow.Here's a 1968 Super Kodiak with them on both ends...bd  -
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

another Special for our hunt..1962 lefthand..bd  -
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

and another 1956 Kodiak Special..bd  -
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Doc - Yes, you should add the broken fibers photographs and explanations to your restoration 101 thread. You want to be sure to include everything on BowDoc's Restoration 101. The local Seattle community College will probably title your restoration course, BDR 101.

Guess just an explanation and photograph would be enough for this thread,

Just looked at a few bows with these broken fiber bows under some magnification...

Doc - As you say, they appear to be broken fibers near the surface. Apparently there is a mini explosion when the fiber and resin break apart that separates/expands the materials and creates a partial void, which appears to the untrained eye as a bubble on the surface.

Rather than use past phrases like “those annoying little eye sores” or “bubbled finish”, we should standardize on a descriptive name for this broken fiber phenomenon.

--------------------

d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

some guy's call them pull offs.Which most are caused by glue sticking to the limbs and when seperated from the form it pulls some fibers out of the glass or can also be cause by the removel of the tape used to protect the glass from the glue.bd
Jeremy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 4149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy   Email Jeremy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bd, have you even seen those in an area other than the deep curve?

I was thinking they were caused by the glass fibers popping up or kinking while under compression on the form. On the opposite side of the curve I've seen what looks like the glass fibers snapping and pulling away from each other while under tension on the form. Opposite sides of the limb, opposite effects, but similar cause.

Either way, they were there when the bow was made and don't cause any harm that I can see other than cosmetic.

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Posts: 5065 | From: East Haddam, CT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

here's another Special for our list I say a 1958..bd  -  -
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©