JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » How did you make your broadhead display cases ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How did you make your broadhead display cases ?
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bow display cases are a little easier to make than broadhead cases. Accepted width is 24", depth is usual 2" and height is what ever is needed for the bow length. Back is light weight material that can be drilled into to accommodate holes for secure bows to felt back. Hinges and clasps complete the set up. Haven't come up with a good way to make a plexiglass cover. Slide from top can be a pain with so much length. Have thought of side in from the side but have not tried it yet. Maybe some one has a better idea...

-

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyrazorhead
Contributor 2016
Member # 2042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyrazorhead   Email johnnyrazorhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade-I really liked your display cases you had at Compton a few years ago.Looked like bowcases lying on a table opened up with plexi-glass over them.Made a nice display but kept hands out of the items displayed.How did you put the plexi-glass in those,I can't remember but I like the idea.
Posts: 1318 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron and Wade, thanks for your input on Cody's question. It sure eliminates a bunch of guesswork for the rest of us.

When I can finally fill up one case I'll know how to make it [Wink]

Trap

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Hammer
Contributor 2015
Member # 17013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Hammer   Email Henry Hammer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking really good guy's!! I just started collecting BH's so I was wondering the same thing as Cody. I think we have some great ideas now to get started on displaying them. Thanks..Henry

--------------------
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Posts: 823 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cody Roiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Roiter   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Roiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, where can I get some arrows clips for the inside of my diplay case ?..
Also this may be a bit over the top but I was thinking about putting a small ligth inside the display case. I didnt know if any of you guys have done that and didnt know how it worked out..

Cody

--------------------
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Posts: 2018 | From: Charlotte, michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John - Yes, the idea was good but the functionally of my pathetic design proved to be a nightmare. Those 2004-05, 2'x6' horizontal bow cases that were set on tables were an experiment that proved what not to do with plexiglass covers on any display case...

I grooved the edges (like Raghorn's cases) but made the plexiglass slide in from the side for the whole 6' length.... big mistake... It would be far better to have the plexiglass slide in from the top (or the long edge).

I never stained or finished the cases as I never cared for them because the long slide in plexiglass was a pain. If a guy never opened them they would probably be just fine.

All of the displays in these 4 cases need to be updated and rearranged so I may just completely empty them and rebuild them into cases that are better suited to frequent opening...

Now of course if you want to make me an offer on all 4 of them... I could always just start over and build some new ones from scratch...

Maybe someone else has a better idea about how to cover a 2'x6' case with plexiglass... then the simple slide in from the top method...

-

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Cody - Raghorn can probably tell you the best place to find arrow clips today. It has been many years since I bought any arrow clips.

I like the large arrow clips. They are more expensive but will work great for any size shaft. The smaller less expensive ones jut don't work for all size shafts.

The small ones also have sharp edges that scrape paint off of arrows and make knuckles bleed. Those sharp edges are a real pain...

If anyone likes the small ones, I just found 244 small ones, that I would be happy to trade for large ones.

Let me know how you want to trade, 3 small ones for 1 large one... or what ever sounds good to you.

-

[ August 17, 2009, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Wade Phillips ]

--------------------

Cody Roiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Roiter   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Roiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Wade, I will wait to see what Raghorn has to say..

Best,

Cody

--------------------

Posts: 2018 | From: Charlotte, michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cody Roiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5588

Wade, If I do use the felt do you glue it down to your back of your display board ?... Also would plywood be better then OSB board ?..

--------------------

Ron Roehrick
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Roehrick   Email Ron Roehrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cody, the last time I bought it was from Larry Whiffen, check with him at lwhiffbhd@aol.com
Posts: 843 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raghorn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raghorn   Email raghorn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cody:
If you plan on moving your cases- like to Compton or wherever the ABCC annual meet is at- then you need to think about weight. Masonite or panel board is plenty strong since it will be screwed around the edges and all the horizontal/vertical strips are also screwed to the back. I used white formica-like finished panels, I think these were designed for bathroom use? Mine are set into a routed recess in the back inside edge to the panel is flat. The light seems like a good idea but remember that it shines from only one direction, will it light the whole case?
Perhaps another idea is to have spot light/track lites.
If you use felt you can use spray adhesive on the board then lay the felt down.
Clips....you can do a search of the internet but this can be frustrating. Possibly the correct name is cabinet clap, door clip. Or you could see what price you can get from 3Rivers if you buy 500to 1000. Remember I said these large clips run from 35 cents to 55 cents apiece? However, Wade's point about the sharp edges on the 5/16 clips( on the left in his photo) is correct. The large clip also has a range of adjustment depending on how tight the mounting screw is.
The smaller clip is about 15 cents each then you have to buy the screws. Email me as to where to purchase the small clips.
Here's the backside of my case.
 -

Posts: 2310 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cabinet door clips, why didn't I think of that. I will check out some catalog sources and find out bulk prices.

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2685 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Cody - I just squirt out Elmer's glue on the plywood, then smear it around with a putty knife and set the felt in place by smoothing it out, starting at one corner. Raghorn's spray on adhesive probably does a more consistent job.

This is one of the cases I made in 2008, 42" tall x 34" wide. Each side splits in the middle. Made from Oak, very heavy, a bit expensive and time consuming to make. Not very tough. Easy to get into each side with lockable door. Yellow felt shows off heads but a bit flashy to the point that it almost takes away from the contents of the case. 34" wide near ideal for arrow display. The case is a mess because it is my traders and never stays full very long.

-

--------------------

Cody Roiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5588

Wade, I do like that display case.. That is what I been thinking as it would be all in one and not two or three display cases taking up room..

Where do you buy your felt from ?..

Best,

Cody

--------------------

Big Riser
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Riser   Email Big Riser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice show Wade,How about some new cases, But you would have to know someone with a sawmill LOL

--------------------
Frank

Posts: 216 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©