JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1969 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1969
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill - Nice Bear Micro-Flite Arrow! That is one of my favorite Bear cresting patterns.

The black leather grip of your bow looks like the textured black leather grip used on the 1963 Dogleg Grizzly...

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4runr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

I also have a '61 that had the same camo as your's. When I got it the leather had been removed, and it was partially sanded down.

The leather is the same as on a '63 Cub I bought for my wife.

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 8048 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl E. Nov...mber
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Earl E. Nov...mber   Email Earl E. Nov...mber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the black grips I have seen where on the '63 Cubs. All the Grizzlies I have seen where the classic brown.It looks like a rather unique bow to me.

So why were there two different dog leg patterns in '63? I have never heard of any problems with the design except for the KM's.

--------------------
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Posts: 1964 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken - I have seen the black textured grip on a 1963 Grizzly just like pictured in the 1963 catalog.

At Grayling in 1997, I was offered (but turned down) a bow with the same black textured leather grip, which looked factory original. If I remember correctly the bow was a 1961 Kodiak Factory Camo. I remember thinking at the time that someone probably sent the 1961 Kodiak back to the factory in 1963 for some work and got a 1963 Grizzly grip.

Can not explain the reasons for the two 1963 Grizzly riser designs e.g., Angled Dogleg and Curved Dogleg, or whatever you want to call them.

-

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrookedStick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrookedStick   Email CrookedStick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, here is the leafy camo version. Oddly enough I have the opposite grip configuration of both your '61 and Wade's '63.

But there is a star on the serial number on my '63, so I am assuming it was sent to the factory for reconditioning and they put on the current year grip just as Wade guessed about your '61.

Bernie

-

[ March 19, 2014, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: TonyW ]

Posts: 241 | From: Mid-Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bernie - Sweet looking bows.

That is a super Dogleg. Heck, I would even trade you that poster you want of the Bear Hunter for that Dogleg. [saywhat]

--------------------

CrookedStick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrookedStick   Email CrookedStick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Wade,

I MIGHT think about that trade if it included the bow used to kill the bear in the pic.

Now that I look at it, I should re-take that photo with just the '60 Razorheads--the '64s are too high tech for the photo...duh.

Bernie

Posts: 241 | From: Mid-Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bernie - I was joking about the trade.

Besides, I don't have that Grizzly in the photograph with the Bear Hunter. However, I do have his 1959 Kodiak that is in the photograph of him with his 1961 Bear. That is a great photograph too.

--------------------

CrookedStick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19290

See...good thing you were joking, because I didn't go back and look up that thread to be sure and I was actually thinking about the '59 K and the '61 bear!

Anyway, back to the topic--I know the thread is about the 'leather grip' years, but I still can't bring myself to put the leather grip back on my '59-those bowyers just did a fantastic job with the wood...basically we were getting almost-custom bows:

-

Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most collectors I know of are primarily focused on Kodiaks-me too. I also collect Grizzlies, from 1949 to 1963 they tracked the more expensive Kodiaks on a year by year basis-sometimes very closely.
Here are two 1963 Grizzlies
 -

You'll notice one of them is a Greyhound while the other is a Husky.

Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bjorn - Nice Doglegs... Greyhound and Husky are catchy names...

In an effort to try to give them a descriptive name to assist collectors to identify these two bows, I have been calling them Angled Dogleg and Curved Dogleg. There are probably better names that could be used.

We should try to come up with a brief description that will aid collectors in identifying them.

Any ideas ???

--------------------

Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. In the meantime I'll post pics and descriptions of '55 and '56 Grizzlies.
Be back in a flash!

Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

The '55 and '56 Grizzlies were both R/L shooters just like the corresponding Kodiaks.
 -
The lower bow is the '56
The same bows again but showing the sticker on the '55 and the silk screen on the '56
 -
The underlay of the '55 Grizzly really sets the two bows apart
 -
And no story is complete without a pic of the tips.
 -
The lower bow is the 1955 model.
Both risers are made of hard rock Maple, black glass limbs, and the tiny tips.

CrookedStick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19290

Nice '63s Bjorn! I am glad I'm not the oddball with the brown leather grip too.

Husky is definitely appropriate.

Bernie

Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Sorry guys and gals........my mind is on my Elk hunt coming up in a coupla' days. Wade pointed out the infraction, the bows in the pics are a '55 and '57. The '55 and '56 are identical except for the stickers ('55) and silkscreen ('56).
As a consolation let me show off my fav 1959 Grizzly which has a really wild Bubinga sight window and a butcher block riser. A correct coin has since replaced the one in the pic.
 -
I refinished the bow using Tru Oil. It is 52#@28 and shoots awesome.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©