JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1969 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1969
seboomook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seboomook   Email seboomook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread, learning a lot here.
This is a '49-'50 alumilam grizzly with a wound on leather grip.
Is it a later replacement, or possibly original?

-

Posts: 280 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4runr
Contributor 2016
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bjorn, that butcher block '59 is a beauty!!

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 7996 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 4149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy   Email Jeremy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The profile of a '57 Grizz
 -
 -
Side view of the tips - notice the extra tapered lamination to stiffen the tips up.
 -

And the '58 Grizzly (second up from the bottom)
 -
 -
The '58 catalog (the reprint I have anyway) shows a wedge sightwindow, but all the '58 Grizzlies I've seen have the same sightwindow cutout as the '58 Kodiak. Has anyone seen a wedged window, or was that just from one of the first '58 Grizz proptypes?

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Posts: 5065 | From: East Haddam, CT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seboomook - Nice looking 49-50 Grizzly.

From the photograph, the grip looks like a tennis wrap leather grip to me.

Although I have never seen any Bear documentation showing the tennis wrap grip, I have seen a few other 49-50 Bear bows with a tennis wrap grip.

I have a 1950 Kodiak K-2 with a red tennis wrap grip. K-2 was a 62" Kodiak, which I have never found in any Bear advertisement for 1950. The grip is not in real good shape. It has probably been on the bow since 1950, but I can not say for sure that it is original to the bow. Have also seen one other that has the same red tennis wrap grip, so it makes me wonder even more.

A real close look sometimes reveals some evidence of a previous grip, a glue line, lighter or darker wood, finish missing, etc.

Looking at a 49-50 Grizzly with a normal grip will give you a good idea about where to look for evidence of a previous grip that may have been on your bow.

Sometimes, it is just hard to tell if a grip is original to a bow. If the original grip was shot, the tennis wrap is an easier replacement for most bowmen than the normal 1949-50 Grizzly grip. There is a possibility that the bow was refinished in the early 1950s, by someone other than Bear, and all the evidence of an earlier grip was removed during refinishing. There is always the possibility of the lunch box special, or the special order or special favor for an eccentric customer who just has to have that tennis wrap on their bow. Lots of possible explanations.

Unless we find some documented evidence from the 1949-50 era, we may never know if the 1949-1950 tennis wrap grips were put on by Bear.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2220 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seboomook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seboomook   Email seboomook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Wade, a closer look with the magnifier (thanks for that tip), shows a faint glue line above the serial number. Learning new terminology also, tennis wrap grip is much more descriptive.

Jeremy, all both (lol) of the '58s I've seen have the rounded site window. I'm guessing there was a transition wedge window from '57 like the Kodiaks?

Posts: 280 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seboomook - Your description of "wound on leather grip" is certainly accurate. Guess I always called it a tennis wrap grip because that is what I have seen on tennis rackets, I'm not even a tennis player so wouldn't be surprised to learn there are many different wraps in tennis racket handles...

--------------------

Posts: 2220 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Jeremy & seboomook -

Yes the 1958 Bear Catalog images of bows are "Non-Typical" from what is normally found by collectors... Boy, an entire book could probably be written about the 1958 Catalogs vs. the bows that were actually made... There are two different 1958 Catalogs (just found this out recently, who knows there may be more then two) and both known versions show the three bows, Kodiak Special, Kodiak and Grizzly the same from what I have been able to determine...

However, the images of these three bows in the catalogs are very different than the bows we collectors normally find for 1958...

Confusing.... YES !!! ... Oh, YES, but that is part of what makes collecting these old Bears so much fun, discovering the previously undocumented variations and inconsistencies... "Going where no man has ever gone before"... The continual Learning experience of collecting and the joy of sharing the information with others who have similar interests, and each bit of additional information building on the foundation of the previous bit of documented information... truly an "on going eduction" for all...

The 1958 Grizzly on page 7 has a wedge sight window, but we accept the rounded sight window as being the "Typical" 1958 Grizzly.

While most are "Typical", at least one "Non-Typical" was made and featured in the 1958 Catalog...

If anyone has a "Non-Typical" 1958 Grizzly as shown in the 1958 Catalog, please post photographs of it both un-strung and strung...

--------------------

TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great thread [clapper] [clapper]

Thanks for the ID Guide fellas and the eye candy is "all good" also.

Trap

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4299 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Holy Dogleg Batman, this Husky wasn't inexpensive... 280390719682

The Greyhound a few days ago, 170374484224, was a c-note less.

--------------------

Cody Roiter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Roiter   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Roiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a old 1959 Bear Grizz.. it said 62" but some one cut it down to 58"

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Posts: 2018 | From: Charlotte, michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyrazorhead
Contributor 2016
Member # 2042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyrazorhead   Email johnnyrazorhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an oddball '58 Kodiak I thought I would show y'all.Not sure if I should post it on this thread about the tennis wrapped grip or the odd length thread of the 64" 1959 Grizzly.Got this bow awhile ago,turns out it's a 1958 Kodiak with a tennis wrapped grip and in the odd length(for a '58 Kodiak)of 62".I showed it with another '58 Kodiak I got years ago.It's a 56" Kodiak that I got from a former employee of Bear.It originally had the same type tennis wrap grip on it when I got it but I sold it and eventually got it back.The guy I sold it to took off the tennis grip and found a quiver insert underneath.He re-wrapped it more like most Kodiaks are found with a single,large piece of leather wrapped around the grip.Notice too that both these bows are missing the dark laminate stripe on both sides of the riser that is usually found on most all other '58 Kodiaks I have seen.I don't have one to show,maybe someone else does.Just some more oddball bows from Grayling.
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 1317 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
450 marlin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 450 marlin   Email 450 marlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1963 Dogleg Grizzly's
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 1239 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seboomook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18601

Love that bubinga sight window !
4runr
Contributor 2016
Member # 8051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4runr   Email 4runr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a chance that a '60 would have the 2 chevrons. I just recieved what I was told was a '60, with glass tips and 2 chevron riser.

Do I now have 2 '59's? [scared] [saywhat]

--------------------
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 7996 | From: Hartville, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sticshooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sticshooter   Email sticshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
come on kenny no pics? [bigsmyl] <><

--------------------
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp Stic."
TGMM

Posts: 9649 | From: Foot of the Cross! < WI | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©