Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1963 - The Leather Grip Years (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Bear Grizzly Identification Guide 1949-1963 - The Leather Grip Years
boycer01
Member # 42753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boycer01   Email boycer01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum as well as new to archery,
I'm 51 years old and have a 12 year old daughter and 7 year old son. I want to get them going on archery as well.
Right now I'm trying to date a Bear Grizzly bow that I found at my parents house. It measures 59" it appears to be all wood except for a layer of fiberglass at the knocks. The numbers on the bow are 19045B and 62#.
There is a running Bear Logo and a "Pat applied for" Logo.From what Ive seen, my best guess is between 1948 and 1953.
I have not seen any 59" bows at all, I seen 58" and 60" but not 59". I do not have it strung, does that make a difference?
Any ideas on age please let me know.

Posts: 1 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackhawk
Contributor 2016
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackhawk   Email Blackhawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say 62#...but could that really be 62". If the number is above the serial, it's most likely the length.

--------------------
Lon Scott

Posts: 5689 | From: Auburn, Washington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warpedarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warpedarrow   Email warpedarrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The no glass part is puzzling me. Pre 49 maybe?

--------------------
Brad Lehmann

Posts: 434 | From: Coke County Texas | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boycer01 -

Without a photograph, you make it a bit of a guessing game to accurately date your bow.

However, my uneducated first guess is 1953...

The bow probably has blonde glass on the back, which likely closely matches the wood color, so you didn't initially realize the backing was actually glass and not wood. This glass color can vary a lot as can the wood color.

If you really have an all wood Grizzly, you have a real prize, or one one which the glass has delaminated, which I serious doubt as you mention the glass overlays at the nocks.

That glass at the nocks is likely cut straight across rather then diamond pointed, which was the cut pattern used on the earlier Grizzlies.

Lon -

Before 1954 there was no length measurement written on any Bear Grizzly that I have ever seen. Only the serial number and the weight are written on these bows.

The measurement 59" is valid for a tip to tip measurement of the 1953 Grizzly. That of course will vary a bit depending on how much set the limbs have taken from the bow being strung.

I'm guessing the point that you were getting to with the question about 62# being 62" is the fact the static Grizzly was a 62" bow as bows were categorized in those days.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

Posts: 2085 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twitko
Contributor 2017
Member # 42736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twitko   Author's Homepage   Email Twitko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

Firstly, THANK you all very much for such great source of information. I'm beginner and humble collector of Grizzly bows. Till now, I could use just several PDF copies of old catalogs and it was quite hard job to date some bows. This thread helps me a lot. Thanks

I'd like to know your opinion. I found this Bear Grizzly bow at ****, and I'm little bit confused. I've already decided not to buy it, but I wonder, what model actually it is .. or it could be ..

-

There are some facts, that confuse me :

- there is AMO 64" !? As far as I know Grizzlies were just 62, later 58 and 56, then 58 again. But none 64" . Some special order ??

- bow has Aluminium in it, so it should be year 49-51. But AMO length is written on the riser .. which looks strange for me ... as Wade wrote, here in this topis, this note :

"...Before 1954 there was no length measurement written on any Bear Grizzly that I have ever seen. Only the serial number and the weight are written on these bows..."

So there should be just serial number and draw weight ... not length ..

- and yes, there is new leather on grip and arrow pad, but seller admited it in auction ...

What is your opinion about this bow ? Again, I just wonder ...

Sorry for my English and thank you for you comments.

Jan

Posts: 34 | From: Czech republic | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jan -

Glad you find this thread to be a useful source of information about Grizzly bows.

The lettering on the bow does not look original to me. With the replacement grip and strike plate, would also guess someone refinished the bow and added the lettering and guessed at the length.

Your bow looks like the center bow in the first photograph on page 1 of this thread which states....

"1951 – Blond Glass on Back, Alum Lamination under Cherry on Belly"

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

Posts: 2085 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twitko
Contributor 2017
Member # 42736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twitko   Author's Homepage   Email Twitko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade .. thank You for Your comment

(I'm sorry for delay, but I was almost two weeks at holiday - without computer and Internet access )

Jan

Posts: 34 | From: Czech republic | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonyW
Contributor 2015
Member # 13086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonyW   Email TonyW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt
Posts: 1228 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingstaken
Contributor 2017
Member # 10937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kingstaken   Email Kingstaken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As my adiction for collecting bows has slowly and steadily crept up on me over the past few years I recently acquired this beautiful '61 camo.
It's in way better condition then I am considering we were both born the same year.

-

--------------------
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Posts: 1882 | From: L.I., N.Y. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ttt

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4164 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazynate
2017 Contributor
Member # 41944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynate   Email crazynate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting pictures Mr. Phillips. Now I know for sure my grizzly is a 1959. I had a hard time telling the difference between the 59-60

--------------------
"If a man does his best, what else is there? "- General George S Patton Jr.

Posts: 285 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great thread from the past. Thanks Trap

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2667 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©