JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Rare Rastafarian Bow.....Almost (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rare Rastafarian Bow.....Almost
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trap - You are not going to believe this one...

I have read this April 1955 article a few times over the years. This is how the fifth paragraph starts up...

"This year Bob bagged his pronghorn buck near a waterhole at seventy-three yards with his sixty-five pound, forty eight inch bow, using a twenty-two inch broadhead arrow..."

Bob is holding the bow horizontal again so you can not really see much...

The bow leaning against the cabin wall in this photograph is a static (see other photograph for owner)

-

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just keeps getting better and better!
Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade, you amaze me.

You are relentless in your research and have a mind like a steel trap. Thank you for adding so much great info about the bow.

As you have probably surmised, the bow belongs to Bjorn. Where it goes from here will be his decision.

I was honestly just joking around when I started the thread because of the Morley/Marley name similarity. Hope I havent ruined the historical significance by removing the grip. I suppose we wouldnt have known what it was if the bow had been pristine and the grip intact.

Trap

[ October 14, 2009, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: TRAP ]

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bow with the grip intact was a whole different story from what it has become with the grip off! Too cool! Nice find Trap and Wade!
Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trap - Glad to help. I'm afraid the old steel trap is getting a little rusty lately...

For years it seemed that almost everyone thought all of this information was worthless. It's nice to be able to put it to some good use.

As I'm certain you both know, Morley was from California and a good pal of Nubbie Pate's.

Yes, with Bjorn on the track, it did smell a bit like yesterday's diapers to me with Bjorn in California.

I know there is at least one more article that I have not found yet this evening. Not sure that it has much other than a photograph or two of Morley with the group of bowmen.

Can't say that it looks promising to find a better photograph of the bow.

At this point, its all great therapy for me.

Removing the grip and discovering Morley's name was pure genius (or lucky) molesting the bow any further would be considered incompetence by some.

I'm personally pleased you guys have unearthed such a treasure. If you are going to build a display for the bow, I'll help you document the bow and Morley in any way I can. I have a neat little item that Fred gave each of the bowmen on that 1954 hunt. If there is a display, I'll donate one to go with the bow and the display.

Lot's of really great stuff behind Fred's Wyoming hunts that is not known by many today. Someday in the near future, I hope it gets published.

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Wade, thanks for the flattery, and I did discover that Morley was from CA back when this was a different place. I have written to the owner of the pawn shop where the bow came from-but that is likely a dead end.
We/I was thinking about a display case for the bow and the pics all together under one glass. It is not often that we come across a 56" compass that is 63@24, has Fred's printing on it (maybe) and articles to go along with it, describing the man's friendship with one of the very greats of trad archery. Anything you can uncover would be wonderful!

Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bjorn - Hugh Rich was also on that 1954 Wyoming hunt with Fred, Bob and Nubbie. I have a letter and Photograph that Hugh sent to me about that hunt. I got the letter probably 10 years before Hugh died. I'll send you a copy of Hugh's letter, it has a lot of important information in it that is not printed any where else. A copy of Hugh's letter belongs with Bob's bow.

Will also send first generation copies of the stuff I've posted plus the entire articles. Have a couple of other items that I will also send along.

Will look for the missing article and send that when I locate it.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that you are Preserving Bob's bow rather than cobbling it up.

I hope you are planing on making a large display!

--------------------

Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

What a find this is turning out to be! Yes, we will make the display as big as it needs to be to embrace the story.
I trust Trap will decide to show it at his earliest opportunity this winter.
Wouldn't it be awesome to find a 22" arrow that BM might have shot?
Can we get you to do an 'expert opinion' on Fred's writing on the bow?

Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bjorn - This is a photograph of Hugh with his 1954 antelope on that hunt with Fred, Bob and Nubbie. I sent it to Hugh, he signed it with a note and sent it back...

-

--------------------

TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to think, I could have sanded away all of that history in about 10 minutes.

The crack likely saved the writing because I knew I needed to get that crack LTed or filled somehow before I went any further. Figured I'd have a little fun with it first.

I spoke with Bjorn earlier about the fact that I sanded a " RUSH for _____ _____ " from under the grip area when I refinnished my 55 Kodiak. I don't remember the name and I have no pics of the writing. I assumed it was a special order but didnt think about it being anything special now and it probably wasnt but,......

Live and learn

Good Night you crazy collectors

Trap

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Another shot of the usual suspects from 1954...

-

--------------------

Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Trap - It is even scarier to think that someone may have just used a band saw to cut out the compass and trashed the bow... It scares me when I think of what might have happened to that bow in someone else's hands...

--------------------

Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Well, I guess tomorrow I will be busy all day tearing all the original leather grips off my Kodiaks looking for clues as to who the original owners were... [scared]

--------------------

d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dang it Wade I had him going I was bouts to offer him a deal he could not refuse.Bob was a short sawed off guy and I bet thats his bow for sure.But more importently I have been looking for the guy that beat me out on that bow week before last.Now I know..............bd
Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Wade, got any idea what part of Wyoming that is?

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11303 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©