JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Rare Rastafarian Bow.....Almost (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rare Rastafarian Bow.....Almost
jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a find!!!

Fascinating to say the least.

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5292 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie - Fred's group hunted near Gillette, Wyoming. They hunted at least 4 years in a row there. I've hunted in Wyoming since the 1970s as it borders our state on the west and isn't that far. Years ago, I looked up the place on a map, but never followed up and actually went to the site. I could just kick myself now. Always thought there was next year.

I’d forgotten all about it until just now, but sometime in the early 1980s I ran into a fellow not far from Gillette who told me the "Bear Gulch Wyoming" cabin was gone. Remembering back now, guess that is when I sort of lost interest in going to the site.

Come spring, I’m just going to have to head west and locate that old cabin site and find out what is still there.

Any one else interested in riding along? It is about 11 or 12 hours from my place. Can’t promise you anything but a sore rear end.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc - Yes, I was asleep at the switch when Morley's bow went off. Have been unconscious a lot lately.

You are correct, Morley was a short sawed off guy, 56", 63#@24" fits him to a T. He was a carpenter by trade but a cowboy at heart and wore that tall white hat that made him look like a bigger guy.

Like you, I'd bet it's Morley's bow too. The greatest thing about the bow is that it was saved by someone who will take care of it now.

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade ripping the leather off a few of your bows is a pretty good idea. You likely have several 56" bows in the same age group..............'54-whatever, that are similar specs to this one, and may well have 'Bob Morley' inscribed in that well recognized lettering. Worth a look? We could all do a massive 'rip along' right here on TradGang? [biglaugh]
Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Bjorn - "Rip Along" is great idea. We can all take turns...

Let's see Trap went first

If I go second, which of these 56" 1954s would be the best candidate to rip the grip off...

-

--------------------

Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice; but Bob already had one of those-let's go to the next year?
Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gee's I don't believe I let a bunch of bow collecters talk me into cutting the grips off every bow in my collection thinking I would find the holy grail of bows with Fred's name hand writen under the grip.But no no I did'nt find nothing not one thing.What the heck was I thinking anydamnway Fred was lefthanded.bowdoc strikes again  -
Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcar315
Contributor 2017
Member # 19642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcar315   Email jcar315   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BD, quite a pile of grips there!!!!

--------------------
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 5292 | From: Boonsboro Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

[biglaugh] [biglaugh] [biglaugh]
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you check for Fred's signature under the tongue of the Left Chuck Taylor?

Trap

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d. ward   Email d. ward       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I'am going to go for it one more time and see if maybe just maybe I'll get lucky.Here goes another factory leather grip down the tube.
Hey Trap that is a pair of Fred's old All Stars there like size 15EEE so I wear them over the top of my own.
Now lets get back to cutting those grips off all our bows.bd  -

Posts: 7927 | From: Seattle Wa. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d. ward
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5022

holy b-geez-is did I ever hit the big time.I knew if I just kept cutting I would strike gold.Check out whom this custom Kodiak was built for in 1959.yaheeeeeeeeew what a hit that was..bd  -
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

And just look at that handwriting too!!
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!!! You found it!!!! Outstanding!!!!! That's where I left it????? Thank you so much for locating my old "factory repaired" 59 Kodiak.

Wade and I have had joint custody of this great bow for many years. I felt really bad about misplacing it and Wade was threatening to make me buy out his half.

You know my address. Thanks Doc, You're the man.

Trap

[ October 14, 2009, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: TRAP ]

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Doc - I just read your post and laughed for 2 minutes. You crack me up. I don't know what we would do for entertainment without you around to stir the barrel once in a while.

Also love your pile of old leather grips.

Several years ago, I had a pile probably 5 times that size... but none of them were original, they were all my own grips that I made and screwed up so ripped them off and started over again and again and again...

Never claimed to be a fast learner.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©