Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » fast flight on vintage bows (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: fast flight on vintage bows
Bjorn
Contributor 2015
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My '59 Grizzly is still shooting with the skinny string on it since 2008. Bow stays strung most of the time and no problems, the wood arrows weigh about 525 gns. I still won't try anything but B50 on my Kodiaks or other collector bows.
BTW I too tested the strength of several string materials and found they were consistently about half of manufacturer's specs.
I'm not recommending modern strings on older bows, just decided to try it for myself.

Posts: 9835 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2015
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting this back on top to see if anyone has any updates. As with any practice, the longer the history the better conclusions you can make about it.

I am interested as I pulled out my 73 Kodiak Hunter and was shooting and my serving broke. Wanting to keep shooting, I grabbed my backup string for my current go to bow (an 10 strand endless loop TS+ padded to 16 strands in the loops) and put it on. I was shocked at how much this changed how the bow shoots compared to the 12 strand Dacron I took off. Besides seaming much faster, it was quieter with less shock and vibration - just a better feel throughout the shot. Also, the annoying buzz in the old spring arm quiver was gone. I had to use a 50 grain lighter point to get the bow/arrow back in tune.

--------------------
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" T. Roosevelt

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 613 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2015
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I weighed the two strings. The TS+ weighed 90 grains and the decron weighed 144 grains.

--------------------

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 613 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Precurve
Contributor 2015
Member # 6597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Precurve   Email Precurve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try a 12-14 strand B55 endless loop string as a higher performance yet safe alternative on your older collectors. My experiments with this showed it closer in performance to a flemish twist D97 than a B50 flemish. I can usually shoot the same arrows and tip weight with the B55 endless loop as the fast flight string where the B50 flemish always meant retuning my arrow setup. I use 12 strand for 60lb and 14 strand B55 for 70lbs+.

Dave

Posts: 459 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceme24
Contributor 2014
Member # 22378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceme24   Email ceme24   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found the endless loops are higher performance than the flemish twists as well.

I have also seen scarce few posts (on TG or other sites) in the past 2 years since this thread was last posted on in 2013 about old bows blowing up with padded FF material. I actually can't remember even seeing one.

While I don't do it (use FF on my old bows) I know many guys who do and I am likely going to try it soon. I would NOT do it on an old Bear with the micarta tips on it still, but that's back in the 1950's...so you're KH is fine.

Endless loop does seem to give a noticeable improvement in speed on my old Bears over the twist. It's a bit tougher to quiet down for me though.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Posts: 2484 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2015
Member # 7746

I always used endles loop strings also. I may try a 10 strand b-50 to se how it works.

--------------------

TGMM "Family of the Bow"

damascusdave
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for damascusdave   Email damascusdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will shoot all of my 60's Bears with low stretch strings...if that sort of material had been available in the 60's Bear would have been using it

DDave

--------------------
I have somewhere from 15 to 20 bows on a given day with both right handed and left handed ones to over 60 pounds...just try shooting both ways sometime soon

Posts: 2752 | From: Mirror, Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
damascusdave
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for damascusdave   Email damascusdave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have satisfied ourselves that virtually all the stretch in a B50 string occurs in the loops...my stringmaker is a Master at braiding the loops which takes care of that issue rather nicely...I suspect that a well made endless loop string does exactly the same thing...I will use a B50 string on a particular bow so that I can shoot a more reasonable spine...with draw weight over 60 pounds at 30 inches I find I need to be shooting 250 spine arrows with BCY-X which greatly limits my choices

DDave

--------------------
I have somewhere from 15 to 20 bows on a given day with both right handed and left handed ones to over 60 pounds...just try shooting both ways sometime soon

Posts: 2752 | From: Mirror, Alberta, Canada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackhawk
Contributor 2015
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackhawk   Email Blackhawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the '59 Kodiak being the last with the paper micarta tips, most folks say 1960 and later bows are better suited to low stretch.

But what about the '59 Kodiak Special? Are they also made with the paper micarta?

About a year ago, I put a Dynaflight 97 flemish string on a '59 KS of about 45# and been shooting it from time to time. I noticed improvement in all aspects of shooting the bow and see no negatives to report.

--------------------
Lon Scott

Posts: 5300 | From: Auburn, Washington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horney Toad
Contributor 2014
Member # 9539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horney Toad   Email Horney Toad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 fps (or less)doesn't matter that much to me. I could never justify the added risk to a bow.
Posts: 1535 | From: MD | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really not about the speed increase, which is minimal. It's about the feel of the shot which is infinately better.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 863 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackhawk
Contributor 2015
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackhawk   Email Blackhawk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with that. I found the shock about gone, less noise, better flight, more accuracy, etc. [archer2]

Besides, it's just an old bow. [saywhat]

--------------------
Lon Scott

Posts: 5300 | From: Auburn, Washington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©