Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Stemmler Bow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stemmler Bow
big rack
Member # 27119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big rack   Email big rack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a bow in an antique shop in ohio. When I got it home I noticed that it is stamped L.E Stemmler Queens villiage long island NY with a number 48 stamped in the wood. The bow is 60" long, has brown or black leather grips with a mother of pearl dot to the upper left of the grip. With a red paint line below the grip about 1/4" wide. The tips seem to be made of bone or some type of wood. The top tip has a curve at the top with a small hole in it. The bottom tip just has a cut out for the string to go into. Can anyone tell me anything about this bow. How old, value, how rare it is, etc.?
Thanks, Mike
China Grove, NC
cin1104cg@windstream.net

Posts: 2 | From: north carolina | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mullet
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mullet   Author's Homepage   Email mullet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bow is 70+ years old. They are pretty common at Flea Markets and antique stores. I'll buy one if I get them for $20 or less. I had one just like the one you described that I shot for a few years. It came from an antique store also.The 48 means 48#. They are usually made from "Lemon wood",Degame.Some are shootable others not.The ones I get with a lot of "set" I shorten and make a new bow.
Posts: 477 | From: lakeland fl | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
big rack
Member # 27119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big rack   Email big rack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. I would like to know if there are any arrows, old score cards, or other older stemmler archery equipment to go with the bow, that I could aquire from someone to make this a small collection of stemmler.
Am I correct to say that stemmler started in 1915 in making the lemon wood bows to around 1940?
Thanks,
Big Rack

Posts: 2 | From: north carolina | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Enos
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Enos   Email Rick Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive the 1915 to be ?? correct but he made laminated recurves until late 60s to early 70s....I would have to go back & reaserch but I beleive early teens to late 60s early 70s....to be close.
Posts: 556 | From: Coldwater, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alex b
CADET MEMBER
Member # 23012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alex b   Email alex b   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got A stemmler Mogul 1 recurve. Dont know much about it but it shoots great!
Posts: 155 | From: new york | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©