JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Bear Grizzly ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bear Grizzly ?
Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Shanks   Email Jack Shanks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that info Rick and I just found serial# 2133 '49 in my basement.

--------------------
Jack Shanks

Posts: 2218 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:

Great......is it an early 49 or later ???

I just happened to run into the right guy on another site. I guess [dead horse] can get results [jumper]

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2690 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Shanks   Email Jack Shanks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

It's a '49. Specs are written on the sticker and not on the handle. I'll try and get a picture posted later today.

--------------------
Jack Shanks

Posts: 2218 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine has the Grizzly sticker on it, the small sticker with the serial number on it (1353), pull and length. It is missing the Bear sticker but you can see on the limb where it used to be. sounds like mine is a 1949. Mine does not has the patent applied for sticker on it and I can't see where it might have been if it was on there.

The story behind mine ( and I can only tell you what my dad told me) is when dad shot for Bear, Fred gave him the bow to try out but when they started to break, Bear asked for it back and my dad just ignored him and kept the bow.

Thanks for the info Rick.

Posts: 2932 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NancyVTAS
SPONSOR
Member # 8153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyVTAS   Author's Homepage   Email NancyVTAS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they really make them for 3 years? I was told they started to come apart soon after they were built and they stopped making them? Just curious. Thanks Dick

--------------------
www.valleytradarchery.com

Posts: 430 | From: Silt, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Dick,

I assume they did as they made the Kodiak with alminum lam in '50 and into '51.

--------------------
Jack Shanks

NancyVTAS
SPONSOR
Member # 8153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyVTAS   Author's Homepage   Email NancyVTAS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack--You are right I had a brain misque, It happens when your 68!!!! Thanks dick

--------------------
www.valleytradarchery.com

Posts: 430 | From: Silt, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bowhunterfrompast:
quote:

Great......is it an early 49 or later ???

I just happened to run into the right guy on another site. I guess [dead horse] can get results [jumper]

I should of asked....is it an early or later 49?

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Posts: 2690 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

quote:
Rick,

It's a '49. Specs are written on the sticker and not on the handle. I'll try and get a picture posted later today.

That would make it an early '49. Would love to see the pictures [campfire]

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Rick,

Sorry no pictures yet. Took them and somehow lost the camera card before I could download them on the computer. Still haven't found the card. Now I'm waiting on a '51 in the mail so I can take a group photo 1949-51.

--------------------
Jack Shanks

Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Left to right 1949-51 Grizzlies. The early '49 far left has the decal with the weight, length and serial number. The two 49/50 in the middle are lettered on the handle.The 1951 far right has the dirrectional glass while the other three are woven.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Jack Shanks

Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting photo's. I have the bow on the left. So they are just wallhangers?

I have another Grizzly, dual shelf, with no aluminum that is a static recurve. Can something like that be shot? It's a nice light draw weight of 35#.

Posts: 2932 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Shanks
Contributor 2013
Member # 2168

Jon,

I would not shoot an old aluminum lam. Many people are still shooting there old post aluminum static tips though. If yours has red glass it would be a '54. Black glass 1955-57. You can narrow the 55 and 56 down to the exact years with the 55 having a decal and the 56 a silkscreen. The 57 doesn't have the wood underlay.

--------------------
Jack Shanks

Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Guess the other recurve is a 55 as it has black glass and decals. Glad I took a close look at it because is has some limb tip separation starting.
bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Jack....thanks for posting that great historical information.

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©