JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » 1959 Kodiaks - the Rarest Model ??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 1959 Kodiaks - the Rarest Model ???
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary -

You have a nice 52" EXP with 59-60 glass colors. Yes, the riser slabs are Bubinga, but not sure about the sight window wood, it may be walnut as you suggest.

Your bow is a near twin to mine, also 52" with 59-60 glass colors, no riser overlays, Bubinga slabs, walnut? sight window, and marked EXP and 68#, shown below on burgundy carpet. I labeled mine a 1960 because of the black and white tip overlays and more importantly the fat, "tennis ball in the hand", grip.

-

Gary's twin brother below with much nicer looking grain in the sight window...

-

-

-

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaskabowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email alaskabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade-
64" Rosewood '59. EL963 64" 40#
60" Rosewood '59 BA269 60" 40#
56" Maple '59 no serial number , 56", 35#@26"
64" Bubinga '59 DC009 64" 42#

as far as my 62" 1955, I'll have to take some pics and load them in photobucket....be patient nothing happens fast in my world... I'll post pics in a new thread...

--------------------
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Posts: 791 | From: minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck -

Thanks for posting the specs on your rare 1959 Kodiaks. Got them recorded.

This list of rare 59 Kodiaks is beginning to take shape.

--------------------

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Judging from this image that johnnyrazorhead posted on another thread, it looks like he may also have a Dark Rosewood Sight Window Kodiak shown at the bottom of the image... John, is that a 60" Rosewood Sight Window Kodiak that is nearest to your toes? I'm guessing that it is and will temporally record it on the list on the first post of this thread. What is the serial number & weight of the bottom bow?

-

--------------------

johnnyrazorhead
Contributor 2016
Member # 2042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyrazorhead   Email johnnyrazorhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade,that bottom bow closest to my toes is my 56",1959 Kodiak that I got along with some other unique,experimental bows. I was looking at it earlier tonight after reading your post and wondered if it might be a rosewood sight window. How can I tell for certain? It's very dark but not sure if it's rosewood or purple heart.Serial number is AA039,48#,56".
Posts: 1318 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
papabear08
Contributor 2015
Member # 36099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papabear08   Email papabear08   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I hope you clipped the nails for your next picture.
GS

Posts: 225 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrazorhead:
...bottom bow closest to my toes ...wondered if it might be a rosewood sight window. How can I tell for certain? It's very dark but not sure if it's rosewood or purple heart.Serial number is AA039,48#,56".

John - Very carefully pry up the strike plate and look under it to see the more original color of the wood. If the strike plate is original to the bow, you will be able to more easily identify the wood in the sight window, as the wood under the strike plate will be much lighter is the strike plate as been on the bow since it left the factory. If you need to, you can even scratch some finish off the sight window surface under the strike plate to expose the raw unfinished wood. Just glue the strike plate back down with contact cement, (don't use super glue).

I've seen several 59 Kodiaks with dark sight windows that the wood could not be easily identified. Some fifty year plus Purple Heart can get very dark to the point it resembles the darkness of the Rosewood that was used in a limited number 59 Kodiaks.

In my experience, the 59 Kodiaks with questionable sight window wood, have almost always turned out to be Purple Heart.

The Dark Rosewood used in the 59 Kodiak sight window is very similar to the Dark Rosewood used in the 1958 Kodiak Special Sight Window.

Hope some of this helps you to positively identify the sight window wood of your 56" Kodiak.

--------------------

ahandle70
Member # 21696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahandle70   Email ahandle70   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever come across a 60" maple sight window 1959 that is marked DA instead of BA? Recently found one that is marked DA in VERY small gold lettering. It should be a 64" bow but it is only 60". Is it mismarked possibly?

Thanks,
DRM

Posts: 94 | From: iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

The problem with serial numbers is that they were inscribed by humans and none of us are perfect, so we all have been known to make mistakes.

Anything could be marked on any bow, accidentally or on purpose, either at the time the bow is made or after it left the factory.

That is why knowledgeable collectors do not rely on serial numbers as the sole determining factor in identification. Serial numbers are a cosmetic factor, like coins in risers, neither of which can be considered as 100% accurate for dating every Bear bow every produced.

You should post an image of the inscription so we can see what you mean by "Very small gold lettering".

--------------------

ahandle70
Member # 21696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahandle70   Email ahandle70   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade,
What is your email address? I can send you some pics of the bow that my brother took with hi Ipad. The pics are not great but I will try to get you some better ones with my camera. I have not had much luck posting pics on this website! I don't want to hack the thread you started as well. Thanks.

Posts: 94 | From: iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyrazorhead
Contributor 2016
Member # 2042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyrazorhead   Email johnnyrazorhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to mis-marked bows,it is possible. People wrote those specs on the bows and people do make mistakes. I have a 52" 1963 Kodiak Magnum that has 60" factory written on the bow. After writing on several hundred bows I imagine the person(s) responsible could have gotten it wrong on occasion.
Posts: 1318 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry m
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry m   Email Larry m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -
I'm fairly certain this is the more common purple heart sight window. Thought I would post it, perhaps to be used as an example.

Posts: 1150 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice bow Larry.

I have 2 '59s that are pretty uncommon-won't say rare. One is MSW 60" and 48#@28. BA 260-black ink no coin.
The second is MSW 64" and 50#@28 DA 589 it is black ink with a coin.
 -

-

That's the 60" bow.

Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warpedarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warpedarrow   Email warpedarrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it somewhat common for '59 and '60 bows to not have a coin? I have Kodiak Deluxe that is smooth as a babie's bottom where the coin should be...

--------------------
Brad Lehmann

Posts: 481 | From: Coke County Texas | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
picapica
Member # 40937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for picapica   Email picapica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 64" MSW, 45#@28" - DA 042.
It also has the number in black ink and no coin.
I've read that the lack of a coin on a 59 Kodiak indicates an early production bow.
 -

Posts: 39 | From: OR | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©