JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » 1959 Kodiaks - the Rarest Model ??? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 1959 Kodiaks - the Rarest Model ???
Pack animal
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 27353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pack animal   Email Pack animal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade Thank you for the insight and observations. I was also leaning towards this being an "experimental" bow made closer to the 1960 model run... The lack of the leather grip. I also have a 64" 1960, when I put them together on a flat surface both have almost identical form. The grip is thinner on the 59. And the limb tips of the 59 are slightly more relaxed.
I can agree with your statements about "small factory" experiments... for several years I held a position of "product development" in a small outdoor furniture factory. True I built "prototypes" of Ideas, Which never made it into a production run. I know of at least one home where my "prototype" bar stool is still being used. Other times those prototypes became the "first" run of a production run. Some times Management or the purchasing agent would bring me a none standard wood type and request a production piece be made from the "new" lumber... Sometimes this experimenting process was done for no other reason than to review the machine-ability of the lumber sample. Sometimes a production model was modified slightly because the change would reduce production costs,(a few cents doesn't seem like much until you compound that savings by thousands of pieces produced). Part of my job involved reviewing production processes with the intent to change machining in order to make a process more efficient, or turn out a better product. Sometimes it was deemed, if the customer(or end user) would not be able to discern a noticeable difference between an "experimental" from production piece, the experimental piece went out for sale with as part of the normal production run. In small factories anything is possible.
I kept pretty good notes and made drawing of my ideas and thoughts... When I left the employ of that company they never asked for my journals, nor did I volunteer to leave said journals behind. So for all intensive purposes some of the reasoning for a particular process has been lost from that company's record. And my memory gets worse as the years pass.

Posts: 189 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Resinss
Member # 46574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Resinss   Email Resinss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade, Very interesting list, lets keep it going, I have 59 Kodiak, #BA117 60" 60# MSW, no coin/ gold lettering. Thank you
Posts: 4 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wade Phillips
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wade Phillips   Email Wade Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles -

Saw the auction for your BA117. Looks like nicely figured rosewood with the dark lines in both slabs. Thought you got it for a reasonable price.

Entered the data on the first post of this thread.

--------------------
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Posts: 2234 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Resinss
Member # 46574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Resinss   Email Resinss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wade,
Thank you. I have had several other PHWs but had to wait a while for a chance at a MSW. Im honored to be on the list. Im always interested in looking for consecutive serial numbers to show up. Thanks for all the work you have put in for identification and reference. My daughter who is 10 sits down with me and we discuss the different years and identifying traits of all the different years etc. based on alot of your posts. She will be thrilled to see our bow on the list.

Posts: 4 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©