JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Happy Halloween (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Happy Halloween
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longbow58   Email Longbow58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
This last one is what's on my handle . Got some phelonic I'm going to give it a go to put overlays on the tips. This bow shoots great and I want to try and save her.

Posts: 642 | From: Hershey,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longbow58   Email Longbow58   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Handle

Posts: 642 | From: Hershey,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
warpedarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warpedarrow   Email warpedarrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! It looks to me like somebody was shooting with the wrong string and just very nearly ruined the bow. Could have been a dry fire or too light arrow weight also.

I would try to get some Loctite 420 into the cracks then put a two inch long layer of glass on each side of the bow. When you cut the string grooves try not to cut down into the glass much when you go across the limb.

Or you can take a hacksaw and cut off the old tips and reshape new ones with a dremel tool or drill and sanding wheel. My preference would be over and underlays.

--------------------
Brad Lehmann

Posts: 481 | From: Coke County Texas | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Don't know who shot what out of it but I built a new B50 12 strand string and padded the loops. I shoot 495 grain GT 600 out of it.I think I'm going to try the overlays really not into shortening the bow. Thanks for all the help will keep you posted.
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 2 layer overlay similar to the tip overlays on a 53 Kodiak would look cool on that bow.

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4369 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Yeah that's what I was thinking Trap.I have some Reddish/orange that I could use.Going to take my time never did that before but don't want to lose her they shoot great.
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Actually just lost an Alaskan on the bid site...should have max bid $85 it would have been mine.
warpedarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warpedarrow   Email warpedarrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since no one else has mentioned it, that is a really strange serial number.

--------------------
Brad Lehmann

Posts: 481 | From: Coke County Texas | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Yeah that's why I posted the pic.Do you think someone sanded the old one off on a redo and just put the date back on. From what you guys have posted they were made before that date.A friend of mine gave the bow that way.
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Do you guys think 2 or 3 layers for the overlays? I need to get some more material if I do both sides.
warpedarrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37046

One on the belly, two on the back. It really kind of depends on how thick the material is. Three on the back and sand most of the top one off will make it look more like Bear us to do them.

--------------------
Brad Lehmann

Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Going to go by Bowdocs restoration tip overlays. Will try the 2 and 1. Have to get some glue.I saw the gel at the home improvement stores but have to go elsewhere to get the 420 that glue is expensive. The gel isn't though.Wish me luck! Thanks for all the tips.
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Going to go by Bowdocs restoration tip overlays. Will try the 2 and 1. Have to get some glue.I saw the gel at the home improvement stores but have to go elsewhere to get the 420 that glue is expensive. The gel isn't though.Wish me luck! Thanks for all the tips.
Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

-
Finally got to put the first layer on!

Longbow58
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36872

Tips are on. What brace height do you guys use on your Alaskans?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©