JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Trad History/Collecting » Tamerlane Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tamerlane Question
Echo62
Contributor 2015
Member # 36357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echo62   Email Echo62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What year model would a Tamerlane HC-300 with the serial # of 8B173 be? 1968? Also, what would the string length for a 69" Tamerlane be? 65 or 66?

--------------------
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Posts: 537 | From: Western NC | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Tamerlane is a '66 and yours is a '68. Mine is marked "Tamerlane" and no HC number at all. I have a 61.5" string on it as it seems to like a higher brace height around 9". I'd go with the 65" string and you may have to untwist it a little. Neat bows, huh?

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5031 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Echo62
Contributor 2015
Member # 36357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echo62   Email Echo62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, thanks for the info. Mine hasn't got here yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

--------------------
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Posts: 537 | From: Western NC | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the HC300 Tamerlanes, 1st digit of SN is the last digit of the year. Yours is a '68 as was mentioned.
You're gonna LOVE it!

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 705 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horney Toad
Contributor 2014
Member # 9539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horney Toad   Email Horney Toad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 1967 tamerlane, left-handed, 66" and 50#. The bow is a ball to shoot!
Posts: 1589 | From: MD | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain*Kirk   Email Captain*Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum: 8B173 would be Feb of 1968, the 173rd bow produced that month.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Posts: 705 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Echo62
Contributor 2015
Member # 36357

Thanks Kirk. I love the bow. Can't stop shooting it. Now if I can just get the sight figured out. Never used a sight before.

--------------------

Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

quote:
Originally posted by Echo62:
Thanks Kirk. I love the bow. Can't stop shooting it. Now if I can just get the sight figured out. Never used a sight before.

Mine came without a sight and I like it that way. These are simply AMAZING bows...I can't describe it other than to say drawing it is like a hot knife though butter, or smooth as French silk. Zero hand shock or felt recoil. What are you shooting for arrows?

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

quote:
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:
Addendum: 8B173 would be Feb of 1968, the 173rd bow produced that month.

I stand corrected. 8B indicates 1968 but the B designation signifies the 69" AMO length
8C=66"
8B=69"
8A/8D=72"
Sorry for any confusion.

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Echo62
Contributor 2015
Member # 36357

Kirk, my Tamerlane is 33#@28". Right now I'm shooting Easton Genesis because that's what I had on hand. They are a little heavy and I plan on getting some 600 spine carbons.

--------------------

Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

My Tamerlane is 69" AMO, 35#@28. I'm currently shooting Beman Centershot 500 spines with 3 X 4" feathers and 100gr field points though I intend to build a nice set of period-correct woodies for this one.
The lighter carbons made a big difference in both speed and trajectory (flatter) over the heavier woods I was shooting out of my other bows.
These arrows weigh in at 395gr.

-

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want period correct arrows to shoot out of your Tamerlane find some old Easton 24SRT-X shafts in silver with NIB points because that's what got shot out of them mostly back then.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5031 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain*Kirk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45005

quote:
Originally posted by reddogge:
If you want period correct arrows to shoot out of your Tamerlane find some old Easton 24SRT-X shafts in silver with NIB points because that's what got shot out of them mostly back then.

Interesting fact. Thanks!

--------------------
Aim small,miss small

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©