JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2011 » A Nice 8, and an Easy Drag... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Nice 8, and an Easy Drag...
57HOP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 57HOP   Email 57HOP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nights are cool, just above freezing, and the days are enjoyable at 50 and sunny. And Halloween always seems to be a good time to be in the deer woods. So, Sunday at 4:00pm I hiked out behind the house up and then over the first ridge. There's a hollow there with plenty of browse and a small stream. I picked a tree, standing alone but with leave cover behind it, and set up the Lone Wolf hand climber. Up nearly 20 ft - higher than usual but with the ridge behind me I wanted to use height to make up for lack of cover.

I settled in and soon the rustling of sguirrels kept me entertained. A redtail hawk flew to a nearby tree, drawn perhaps by the same noises, and the alarm went out. Minutes later that hawk set out to scout another hunting area and the treebears made their way back into the open. Within minutes, I heard rustling in the leaves behind and to the left. Slowly turning I saw the buck slowly approaching through the brush, browsing on foliage as he came. His antlers were just barely as wide as his ears - my self imposed criteria for bucks- and at first I decided to let him walk. A careful look showed his right side antler considerably smaller than the left and I decided, in some kind of hunting logic, that he was something of a cull buck. Waiting 3 years wasn't likely to make him a record book buck and also wouldn't improve the meat!

Down wind of me but calm, he stopped at 15 yards and began half heartedly working a small sapling. I looked hard at "the spot" but waited for him to move his right leg forward. Instead, he finished rubbing and turned toward my tree and resumed feeding as he came. I began to think luck was with him and he'd scent me. He walked directly under my stand, and never even paused. Despite this, I had another problem. He was passing directly away, offering only a tail end view as he started up the very trail that I had walked just 30 minutes earlier!

This buck was hungry though, and was busily pulling brush and munching leaves. He turned partly to right to reach for a tender morsel and as he streched out for that last mouthful I drew 50 lbs of Navajo limbs fitted to an old Myles Keller XI compound riser and aimed steeply down through the deer to his farside shoulder. The Goldtip Traditional flew true. 200 grains of Steel force single bevel broadhead entered high at the last rib, barely clipped the liver and passed through the far lung and down to the elbow where it stopped on bone.

My buck bolted up over the hill, followed my path 200yds toward home, and laid to rest some 100yds from my back yard.

A short drag, and he was weighed at 165#, gutted and hanging, and I was back in street clothes well before dark.  -

Posts: 243 | From: Syracuse NY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sequoia
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sequoia   Email Sequoia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niceeee [clapper]
Posts: 520 | From: Bonsall, CA ~ Camp Lejeune, NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cnorth
Contributor 2015
Member # 18210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cnorth   Email cnorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Job well done.. [Smile]

--------------------
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3: 5

BLACK WIDOW PCH 47 @ 28, 58" bubinga/yew

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"

BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Posts: 517 | From: Savannah ,TENNESSEE | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtguy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtguy   Email dirtguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Not Worthy] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]
Good narration!

Posts: 812 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devonchristensen
Member # 25145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devonchristensen   Email devonchristensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! A fantastic animal and wonderful storytelling as well. I think its great you converted a wheely to a trad bow.

--------------------
Hebrews 11:1
--------
Damon Howatt Hunter #55
Pearson Colt 7070 #55
Bear Kodiak Hunter #45
PSE Sequoia #45
Pearson Colt 707 #35
--------
US Air Force
--------

Posts: 94 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MI_Bowhunter
Contributor 2011
Member # 9242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MI_Bowhunter   Email MI_Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that's not an antlered cow? [biglaugh] That guy looks huge.

Congrats!! [clapper]

--------------------
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome." -Harvey Mackay

[archer] MikeD.

Posts: 1313 | From: Flint, MI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Michael, way to get it done.
Posts: 755 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RM81
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RM81   Email RM81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1360 | From: London, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Way to go sir!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7094 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11673 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Holden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J. Holden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would all read the script. Nice for you.

-Jeremy [coffee]

--------------------
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Posts: 1539 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeNoIt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeNoIt   Email BeNoIt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and nice deer!

--------------------
David

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Posts: 201 | From: NY - Niagara County | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumper Dunker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumper Dunker   Email Thumper Dunker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job ,he's a nice one.

--------------------
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Posts: 3975 | From: Modesto California | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my he is a heavy weight, cool trophy there!

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4313 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
Contributor 2012
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work.

--------------------
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 9029 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©