JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2012 » Me, my Whip and dem Deers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Me, my Whip and dem Deers
TomBow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TomBow   Email TomBow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creepin' Cripes and Mercy Sakes Alive! This deer season is my first hunting only with my longbow. Such a long traveled road it has been which has brought me to this point, yet the satisfaction that I am feeling with what I have been able to accomplish is without equal where my bowhunting is concerned. Uh, Lemme breakidownfoya:
**** yields an old Darton Ranger, trade of an unused 10-22 yields an OLD Bear Cub longbow and a pretty Ben Pearson Palomino, time yields an understanding of how to shoot trad in MY evolving style, generous folks yield knowledge on how to shoot, form, wood arrows, etc. etc. etc., Dan Toelke yields MTB, purdyest longbow ya ever saw and, MAN, does she shoot!
 -

This year I start hunting LONGBOW ONLY.
Turkey Season rolls around here in MN and late April I start my hunt on a Saturday morning. I hunt for about an hour because I had to quit hunting after....
 -

During the remaining Spring and Summer...
 -

I pass the proficiency test for the Duluth Archery hunt, I think I am the only one shooting trad in the whole hunt. Archery Deer season rolls around and this is what happens over the next 3 months..
September 25th
 -

and on 12/12/12
 -

I shot a young but good sized doe on Nov.28th, which I broke my own rule on by NOT taking pictures (stupidstupidstupid!) and on 12/13/12 I shot ANOTHER doe! Yes, that's right, two deer on two consecutive days. This brings my trad-bow total to FIVE, a turkey and FOUR deer, I have never shot 4 deer in a season before. And I am working on a fifth!

Info on the buck in the above pic: I have been using the 225gr Tuffhead single-Bevel broadhead on all these deer. You will notice the entry on the first doe in the first picture above. Right through the scapula, not a planned hit but penetration went under the backbone and into the offside lower shoulder. Deer down in 80 yards. Second deer jumped the string and was hit square in the spine CUTTING the vertebrae in 2, dropped on the spot and quickly finished with a second shot through the lungs, hitting the ground on the offside. Third Deer hit just back of the ribcage (quartering sharply away) and penetrated into the upper shank bone just below the "elbow" joint. Check out this picture, not a retouched photo, this was removed from the deer and that broadhead will NOT come out without serious destruction of the bone...Uh, I think this one gets to retire!
 -

Fourth deer was a great double lung shot at 8 yards. 'smatterofact ALL deer were shot from the same stand within 20 ft. of each other.
I do have to say, my Spruce shafts have taken a beating, every one was broken after shooting the deer. The fourth was darn close to remaining intact...until the deer slipped in the snow while making his exit from the hit site. The first doe was the longest track job at 80 yards. The last deer was 45 yards from my stand when I got out of the tree.

Woweewoweewowwee! TomBow LOVES this trad.bowhunting thing! Don't let nobody tell ya diffrnt! If it weren't for bowhunting, I'd probably go [knothead] yeah, I'd be the "Hammer-ee" not the Hammer-er!

Color me [jumper]

Cheers to you my bow brudders!
Me TomBow!

--------------------
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Posts: 251 | From: Proctor (duluth), MN | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akdd
Contributor 2015
Member # 15418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akdd   Email akdd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a great season.
Posts: 468 | From: Alaska | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
Contributor 2017
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow what a season!!! Congrats

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 6928 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djohnson
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djohnson   Email djohnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your harvests!

--------------------
John 3:16

Posts: 715 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome season! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7094 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Not Worthy]

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4101 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ti-guy
Contributor 2011
Member # 20125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ti-guy   Email ti-guy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [clapper]

--------------------
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Posts: 1849 | From: Lac St-Paul,Qc,Canada | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[clapper]

--------------------
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Posts: 1518 | From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your on a roll keep up the good work!!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3122 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Perdue
Contributor 2015
Member # 22792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Josh Perdue   Email Josh Perdue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a great season, thats a great looking whip
Posts: 762 | From: Oak Hill, WV | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rwbowman
Contributor 2016
Member # 36821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rwbowman   Author's Homepage   Email rwbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome year you've had indeed, my friend! Good on you for your determination and diligence to the bow. Love the looks of that Whip!

--------------------
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Posts: 598 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Old Chief
Contributor 2017
Member # 34354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Chief   Email Old Chief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on an excellent season.
Posts: 516 | From: CA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lunchbucket
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lunchbucket   Email lunchbucket   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrates what a year!
Posts: 331 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 5003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limbow   Email limbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a marvelous year!!! This thread is inspiration for me to get my kiester out of bed, grab my Whip and keep after them deer. Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Posts: 2455 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OBXarcher
Contributor 2017
Member # 12270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OBXarcher   Email OBXarcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats. Once you make the switch it's All over.
Posts: 1994 | From: Ocean Isle Beach, NC | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©