JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2013 » A hard earned buck... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A hard earned buck...
Basinboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basinboy   Email Basinboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made it about an hour ago. That 16 hour drive is rough but when I look in the rear view mirror and see the rack it makes a little easier. I hunted 15 days only missed two morning hunts to recharge my batteries. I saw many nice bucks and let a bunch walk. I missed twice, deflected on a branch on a 155-160 and missed a 150" at 8 yards as he trotted by. When I bleated to stop him he sped up and I lost focus shooting under him...
Had planned to head home the next morning and picked all my stands and cameras after the morning hunt yesterday except for the one I would hunt that evening in a last ditch effort to fill my tag. Got setup by 2 and waited and waited. I had seen 12 deer from this spot the evening before but nothing was moving this eve. It was just about the end of legal shooting time and I hear leaves crunching! I grabbed my bow and got ready just in case it was a good one. Sure enough here comes a nice 8pt. I had to turn to my left as he was going behind my stand. I drew and bleated, picked a spot and dropped the string only to hear a loud crack! My bottom limb hit the seat of my muddy lock on. Of courses arrow went low missing the buck. He ran a few yards and stopped for a few then continued of crossing the creek and then up the other side to a scrape. I nicked another arrow and as he was working the licking branch I sent another arrow. He buck kicked and ran out across a crp field like he was on fire! I felt confident it was a good shot even though I couldn't see exactly where my arrow hit him. I pulled my stand and left to go eat a bit to give him plenty time. My wife and I went back and found blood where he was standing. We followed the trail into the crp where it got difficult to follow. I then found my arrow fully coated with good blood and bubbles. We couldn't find blood again so we spaced out and started a grid search and on the first sweep I spotted him. He was dead in seconds, already stiff an hour later. 15 days and over a 100 hours on stand, I'm happy to have this beauty [Smile]
 -

--------------------
Palmer Longbow 47#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 52@26" 58" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 46#@26" 60" amo

Posts: 1248 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manitoba Stickflinger
SPONSOR
Member # 18657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manitoba Stickflinger   Author's Homepage   Email Manitoba Stickflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well deserved..congrats!

--------------------
http://stickflingers.com/

Posts: 2048 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A HEARTY CONGRATS Basinboy, you certainly deserve this one after all the time and hard work you put in. Thats what you call Endever To Persevere. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 755 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Posts: 1518 | From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMG
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMG   Email JMG   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 510 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A for effort and you got the gift you deserve!! :clapper:

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3120 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJK68
Contributor 2015
Member # 34684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJK68   Email TJK68   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a nice one.
Tom

Posts: 1212 | From: West "By God" Virginia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
way to hang in there.. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4101 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great buck, huge body! Well done.
Posts: 2472 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oklahomaleatherman
Associate Sponsor
Member # 23590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oklahomaleatherman   Author's Homepage   Email oklahomaleatherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice deer and well worth your efforts I am sure. Which state were you hunting in? That buck has a huge body.

--------------------
Traditions Leathercraft LLC
www.traditionsleathercraft.com
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Posts: 474 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igor
Contributor 2015
Member # 12692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igor   Email Igor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to "hang" in there on a well deserved trophy.....

thanks for sharing...

><>>
Glenn

--------------------
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Posts: 1189 | From: Woodbury, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basinboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basinboy   Email Basinboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by oklahomaleatherman:
Nice deer and well worth your efforts I am sure. Which state were you hunting in? That buck has a huge body.

That's a Kansas buck. Yeah they get way bigger than Louisiana deer [Smile]

--------------------
Palmer Longbow 47#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 52@26" 58" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 46#@26" 60" amo

Posts: 1248 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRONZ
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRONZ   Author's Homepage   Email BRONZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great deer!! Way to go.

--------------------
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Posts: 1252 | From: Butler Co. Kansas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hooper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hooper   Email Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! You sure worked hard for that big boy! Congrats on a nice buck!! Nice shooting!

--------------------
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Posts: 583 | From: Nunda, New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
Contributor 2017
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck of a buck , very nice , Congrats sir.....

,,,,Sam,,,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2465 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©