Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Island of Kaua'i (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Island of Kaua'i
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3022 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Whitmire Jr
2017 Contributor
Member # 13714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Whitmire Jr   Email Jack Whitmire Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going over there tomorrow no bowhunting though .

--------------------
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any Morals- unknown author

Posts: 1129 | From: Scott Depot, WV | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun! Kauai is a beautiful island!
Posts: 3022 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to the trip up the Na Pali Coast Steve Hohensee and I did a few years ago.
2010 Na Pali Coast

[ July 26, 2013, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: S2 Bowstrings ]

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8718 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best hunt of my life last year on Kauai.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5300 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermon
Contributor 2017
Member # 26115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hermon   Email Hermon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to Kauai in January for our 20th anniversary. Doubt if the wife will let me hunt, but is there someplace we could fling a few arrows?
Posts: 2568 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SKITCH
Contributor 2014
Member # 36382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SKITCH   Email SKITCH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Doug....thanks for posting that link to your old story. Good stuff. Wife and I did that that trip back in the 90's and it was a blast. Sadly no bows were taken. It was before I discovered them. We were out there for about 9 days and boy did we meet some interesting folks ... and the lack of clothing on some of the ladies was not a problem (for me at least). We were in a bit of the off season so it wasn't too crowded and the beaches were clean. Met a large naked ex flute player for the Boston Philharmonic that would go up into the jungle to his hidden bamboo patches and make flutes to sell for his beer and pizza money. I guess he would hike out every now and then for a snack. Met a huge group of beach dwellers and surfers from the Islands that had all met there to celebrate one of their birthdays. A couple of them hiked into the jungle and took a goat with a spear and we all ate it at a feast that night. Sadly, one afternoon a couple guys from that group went too far out in the water. The rip tides and undertows that time of year are pretty serious. One of them didn't make it back to the beach. We looked for him for quite a while before we were able to get a passing Coast Guard helicopter to finally stop by writing a huge SOS in the sand. They searched for him for 3 days....never found a body. Put a damper on the mood of the party to say the least. Pretty sad. Gotta respect Mother Nature or accept the consequences.
Amazing place. A lot of history has been through that jungle. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

--------------------
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered"
Lincoln

Posts: 1012 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Glenn, archery range? stumping?
Hawken1911
Contributor 2017
Member # 3862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawken1911   Email Hawken1911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This forum is perfect timing! Thank you Ryan! My wife and I are thinking about Kauai for our 20th anniversary next year (Sorry Glenn...My wife will let me hunt ; ) In fact, I had a long conversation with Mike Vines yesterday about his visit there with his family, and his hunting experiences. If we settle on Kauai, I'll be asking a ton of questions. The place truly looks like paradise.

--------------------
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Dry Ridge Archery 3-PC TD Longbow,45#@28"
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Posts: 990 | From: South Lyon, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermon
Contributor 2017
Member # 26115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hermon   Email Hermon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Glenn, archery range? stumping?

Either one.

Paul- She probably would if I pressed her enough, but this might be our only trip there and I want to keep her for at least another twenty years [bigsmyl] She doesn't question any hunting trips here so this trip will be strictly a vacation.

Posts: 2568 | From: Spring Hill, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Glenn, as far as I know, Kauai doesn't have a public archery range. You could "stump" in one of the "open" hunting areas. Here's the info on the pubic land hunting areas.
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/files/2013/05/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Thanks Paul!
This forum will be a team effort. I live on Oahu and primarily hunt public land. Although I do hunt the outer islands, I've still got lots to learn myself. Some of the TG members have more info then myself and I'm thrilled that they are "chiming" in.
Hopefully together, we can build a great resource.

Aloha!
Ryan

Hermon
Contributor 2017
Member # 26115

Thanks Ryan.

One more question for the mainlanders that have gone to Hawaii and taken game. Were you able to get the meat home or did you do something with it there?

Jack Whitmire Jr
2017 Contributor
Member # 13714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Whitmire Jr   Email Jack Whitmire Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drove up into the grand canyon of Kauai, I still can't pronounce any of the words over here .

Saw some public hunting areas over here .The country is steeper than home .

Amazing country , may be back to hunt . By accident met a guy who invited me back to hunt some ranches with him .

Go if you get a chance !

--------------------
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any Morals- unknown author

Posts: 1129 | From: Scott Depot, WV | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawken1911
Contributor 2017
Member # 3862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawken1911   Email Hawken1911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I usually have three, week-long times that we can choose from to take a vacation every year; they are in: mid-February, early-April and early July. For those of you very familiar with Kauai, which week would you choose given the above choices, and why? Having never been there, I'm wondering if there are any pros or cons associated with those time periods, in regards to hunting and in general (weather, bugs, fruit in season, whatever.) I'd appreciate any insights and advice. Thanks!

--------------------
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Dry Ridge Archery 3-PC TD Longbow,45#@28"
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Posts: 990 | From: South Lyon, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©