Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Island of Kaua'i (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Island of Kaua'i
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say April or July, February is still part of our rainy season. It's tough when it's pouring rain in there, river crossings and slippery trails. Additionally if you want to enjoy the beach there still may be a chance of big waves on the North and West facing sides of the island during February.
Posts: 3013 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawken1911
Contributor 2017
Member # 3862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawken1911   Email Hawken1911   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ryan! BTW- What do you teach? I teach elementary art (K-4).

--------------------
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Dry Ridge Archery 3-PC TD Longbow,45#@28"
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Posts: 990 | From: South Lyon, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special Education
Posts: 3013 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Footed Shaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 65

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Footed Shaft   Email Footed Shaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the best hunt i have ever been on ( and i didn't even shoot anything).
Hawken, my wife and i went there in mid July on our honeymoon. The bugs were a non issue ( well at least to me they were, but i have been in norhtern Ontario during black fly season !!) . TRhe weather was awesome every day, with very little rain and LOTS of sun.
Bill

Posts: 600 | From: S.W Ontario | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lone hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lone hunter   Email lone hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 804 | From: clark fork, idaho | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Barr
2017 Contributor
Member # 38047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Barr   Email Scott Barr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely love this island. By far my favorite. Great for families and outdoor activities. Way more laid-back than the other islands I have been to. My wife and daughter like resorts and the pool. I like being active outdoors. There is great hiking here and goats and pigs to hunt. Primarily the former on public land. So Kauai is an island for all of us to get excited about. Booked a hog hunt through Patrick Fisher, hunting outfitter for all the islands, and for varied game. Had access and guide on a 16,000 acre ranch. Saw lots of pigs. Unlike here in California, hunting there is during evening and night using green flashlights that pigs can't see. Night hunting is not legal in California. Bagged two pigs. Like game in most warm climates, pigs are smaller than here. Hundred pounds is a shooter size there. Their behaviors are different too. Since there are no predators other than people, young pigs run around without their mother. And they don't root up the earth because because food such as mangoes, papayas and avocados lay in abundance on the ground. Great time and loved the guide. Working with a traditional bow hunter was new for him and he was quite excited about it. My wife and I are returning in December. Plan on hunting pigs again and scouting public land on the north part of the island.
Posts: 426 | From: San Diego, California | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheephunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 29170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheephunter   Author's Homepage   Email sheephunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my wife will be going in early June and taking our bows! Would primarily be interested in hogs, but goats would be a bonus. Where Doug Campbell and Steve went looked a little to steep for me (afraid of heights). Any help on pointing us in a good direction would be much appreciated! We will be hunting public land.

--------------------
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Great Plains 60" 1PC RC 53@28
Thunder Mtn. 62" 1PC FB 57@28
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1033 | From: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Barr
2017 Contributor
Member # 38047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Barr   Email Scott Barr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheephunter, for hunting public land, will have to be the very north end of island. Trails are good. But you'll have to pack in to get away from all the foot traffic. Bring hiking sandals as trails are often slippery and up to ankles in mud in places and fording rivers. True rain forest on northern end. For private land contact Outfitter Patrick Fisher. Lots of pigs on private land. Enjoy. Not very expensive for pigs. Scott
Posts: 426 | From: San Diego, California | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheephunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 29170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheephunter   Author's Homepage   Email sheephunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! Thanks for the info Scott!

--------------------
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Great Plains 60" 1PC RC 53@28
Thunder Mtn. 62" 1PC FB 57@28
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1033 | From: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©