Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Island of Moloka'i (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Island of Moloka'i
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3013 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Campbell
Assoc Sponsor - Charter Member
Member # 269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Campbell   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been a few years since i visited but Moloka'i it is one of my favorite places in HI. I spent a week there hunting with my friend Walter Niki. I came away with many wonderful memories. It is very rural without a lot of touristy stuff to worry about. But if your better half is looking for some very nice quiet time in an island Paradise you can't beat it.

Back when I was there the goat hunting was great and I missed a dandy boar up in the mountains. Like Ryan stated elsewhere the Axis are the challenge, being the "ghosts" of the island. We even got out for some bow fishing in the ocean one day.
 -

--------------------
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith
Doug's Photo Album,

Posts: 8718 | From: SW Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice shot Doug! Those enenue are mighty quick!!!
I know we didn't get anything that day, but do you have any pics from our "tsunami" bowhunting excursion?

Posts: 3013 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

-

-

-

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

-

-

-

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

-

-

-

-

sheephunter
Contributor 2017
Member # 29170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheephunter   Author's Homepage   Email sheephunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and my wife are looking to plan a trip here and hunt. Is guided hunts on private land the only option? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Charley

--------------------
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Great Plains 60" 1PC RC 53@28
Thunder Mtn. 62" 1PC FB 57@28
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1033 | From: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Charley,
Private land hunting is the only option as far as I know on the island of Molokai. You don't necessarily need a guide though.

GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, das a pretty big herd in that picture. Looked at Google, looks like I'll be hunting Kawela III. Can't wait! Which Kawela area are these pictures from?

--------------------
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Some of those pics are taken from a friends house. We weren't allowed to hunt in that area.
ermont
2017 Contributor
Member # 25655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ermont   Email ermont   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunting Moloka'i is a dream of mine.
Posts: 1701 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Dill
Contributor 2015
Member # 3560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Dill   Email Kevin Dill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heading back to Molokai in a few months...3rd trip. The key to hunting on the island is having a few friends and personal connections. That's hard to do for a first-time hunter, but PBS brothers stepped up and helped me on my first trip. After that it just got easier. We've hunted goats, pigs and axis deer with excellent success.

I consider Molokai the 'subsistence' island of Hawaii. No super-sized convenience stores, no big burger chains, no hotel chains, no big-box store, and no fast lifestyle. Great farms and produce! Good island beef available. The island has everything you need to have a fine vacation and hunt, as long as you don't crave a Maui or Oahu experience.

Posts: 1681 | From: OH - Buckeye Country | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from Moloka'i. Trip was fricken awesome! Choke deer. Of course they're smart enough to stay down low by the houses and out of the hunting area. Every morning I'd get dropped off and would watch the herds feed downhill toward the houses. My mornings consisted of me trying to intersect the herds before they got too low. Actually was able get into trad bow distance, but my uncle twisted my arm and I was using his 30-30 that day. Go figure. Here's a sample of what I see when I'm Axis hunting. I call this picture "Tunnel Vision", and no this buck is not alone. See if you can spot any of the does guarding him.
 -
Here is an interesting video I was able to capture of two bucks sparring. If this wasn't right next to my uncle's house, it would have been a perfect time to put on a stalk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghXd5i7wD84&feature=youtu.be

--------------------

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Looks like I need to look into hunting Molokai!!! haha

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Longbow 60"

Posts: 94 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Eh Riley, my uncle Mel Enriques said he hunts with your cousin and he bird hunted with you before too. Small world. Yes Moloka'i is ridiculously awesome. Even though we struck out with the bows, my uncle and I had a blast. Can't wait to get back to Moloka'i when the bucks should have their hard horns in.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©