Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Island of Hawai'i (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Island of Hawai'i
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 3018 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feral Cattle are on my list when I visit next time.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5291 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few pics of the island...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 3018 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makua Girl
Member # 37838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makua Girl   Email Makua Girl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 73 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swamp Moose
Member # 39416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swamp Moose   Email Swamp Moose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really enjoying looking at all your hunting pics. I'm hoping to hunt there one of these days.

--------------------
IXOYE

Posts: 31 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Thank you Shane!
straitera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straitera   Email straitera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special stuff here! Wow! Thanks for the posts & effort to take us along.

--------------------
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Posts: 4639 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Mahalo straitra!

[shaka]

RD808
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POHAKULOA

-

KIPUKA AINAHOU

-

MANUKA

-

KIPUKA AINAHOU

-

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Longbow 60"

Posts: 94 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Scout
Member # 36594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cavalry Scout   Email Cavalry Scout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was stationed on Oahu, we would go over to The Big island for training. At PTA of course. I dreamed of hunting over there. Might get the chance one day.

--------------------
"Lifes tough, Its tougher if your Stupid!"

Posts: 43 | From: GA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mojostick
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mojostick   Email Mojostick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to the Big Island twice, some 25 years ago. Once as a tourist in Kona and again as a student in Hilo, through an internship program with Michigan State University. If anyone from Michigan State is reading, MSU still offers a 7 week course on native Hawaii culture. In my college years, it was the best thing I ever did!
http://msustudyprograms.wordpress.com/hawaii-study-and-internship-programs/

The Big Island isn't what most of us on the Mainland think of, when we think of "tropical" Hawaii. If one hasn't been, they expect waterfalls and exotic birds, set in tropical rain forests. That's Kauai in the post cards they're thinking of, when they picture "Hawaii" in their mind.
Instead, the Big Island reminded me more of the Texas Hill Country, without as many bigger hills.

Since I was in Hawaii so many years ago, as a good looking, in shape, with long hair (lol), unattached single guy in his early 20's, my interest was far more on bikini strings and tan lines than bow strings and tanning hides. So I never had any interest in hunting there. But if I ever make it back, I fully intend to bring a bow with me and try a hunt of the 4 legged kind.

When I was there as that young man, body surfing at Makapu'u, hanging out at "the toilet bowl" lava tube and drinking Primo was how I spent my free time. And what a time it was for a Midwestern kid.

Posts: 2280 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoors_man
Member # 39853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoors_man   Email Outdoors_man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha S Bowstrings - I hunted on the "Big Island, (Pahakaloe Camp) in 1954, Was stationed at Kaneohe Bay Oahu at the time and was a member of the Kaneohe Bow Hunters. Seven of us, from Kaneohe Bay got a hop to the big island and was met at the air port..Taken to the camp, We hunted rams and boar. One of our party got a nice ram. Remember checking in and out at a forestry office. Also, some where along the way, we were shown some waterfowl which was very rare or indangered. While hunting, I think I crossed an old lava flow. Had a very hard time walking as I kept following into crevice covered by grass. Adfter that hunt I did a little hunting on Oahu before being transferred. Need a more powerful bow for this hunt so I purchased one in Honolulu (Sears store I think) Metal recurve that had so much hand shock I got a head ache. PS Since this is my first post, please do not grade me to hard. Aloha.
Posts: 1 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Mojostick,
Sounds like you had a blast while you were here! Body surfing at Makapu'u and Sandys. Those were the days....

Outdoors_man,
1st post, and it's on the Hawaii Fourm! [shaka]

Man back then Pohakuloa must have been "rich" with sheep, pigs and goats!!!

That's bad when your bow starts to rattle your teeth! LOL! Cool to know that Sears had Archery supplies!!! Now we have two pro shops on Oahu!

Do you have any old hunting pics from Hawaii???

Aloha guys!

Ryan

Lonala
Contributor 2016
Member # 17017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonala   Email Lonala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha S2.keeping it real bra Big Island rocks

--------------------
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Posts: 362 | From: Big Island Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Mahalo Lonala,

Feel free to post up some of your adventures!!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©