Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Island of Hawai'i (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Island of Hawai'i
RD808
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Longbow 60"

Posts: 94 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalArcher
Member # 23053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalArcher   Email CalArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pics Riley! Any of Ka'ohe GMA?

--------------------
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bryan!

I actually never did take my DSLR to Kaohe GMA. I might have a few photos from 2009 with my simple point and shoot...ill try find um and post them up.

--------------------

Posts: 94 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalArcher
Member # 23053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalArcher   Email CalArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's Halloween; we leave tomorrow, early AM. Should be in Kona by 4pm. I'll be hunting the Ka'ohe GMA on Tuesday and Wednesday, rest of the time is family time - snorkeling, spearfishing, and eating. Over the last 2 months I've been considering which bow to take on this trip. I've settled on my Horne's Traditionalist longbow; 68", 55# @ 31". Shooting full length Beman MFX with Zwickey broadhead, total arrow weight is 550gr (give or take). I shot my mouth off about this trip, better make it happen!

Thanks to Ryan for the encouragement and putting me in touch with Riley. Special thanks to Riley for his advice, knowledge and expertise. Hope I don't let you guys down. I'll keep in touch, let you guys know how it's going.

Mahalo

--------------------
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

Bryan Good luck!!!! Those sheep/goats/pigs can be quite tough..but you got the luck on your side!!!

Let us all know how your trip goes! And remember to take a ton of pictures!!! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT, wish I could join you but I have to work.

--------------------

Johnnylongbow
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnnylongbow   Email Johnnylongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see these post's on hawaii.
I may be coming to the big Island to house sit for 6 months to possibly a year. (keeping fingers crossed)
what are the possibility's for hunting Deer and Turkeys?

Posts: 57 | From: Philadelphia,Pa. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

For axis deer you will need to travel to Lanai, Maui or Molokai. As for turkeys you have 31 consecutive days in march to get it done. You have two tags and can hunt in most public hunting areas with the bow.

--------------------

ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Gang Man seeing pics of the big island and of pohakuloa brings back memories of PTA when I was in the army back in 1974 with the 25inf divison assigned with the 725th mait. batt. go hunt at nite at the rubbish dump choke pigs at the time and when get time off go hunt in the Paiea side of the island for sheep and goat with good buddy of mine who got me started in archery well latter gang maybe go there one of this days Aloha [thumbsup] [archer]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnnylongbow
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnnylongbow   Email Johnnylongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up RD. Watched some of the vids.
looks like plenty of fun. Being that deep in the dense forest and no poisons snakes makes for a good time.
If it tuns out that I make it there I will be in touch..
Do you guys have an archery shoot there?
thanks. JLB
Mahalo

Posts: 57 | From: Philadelphia,Pa. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

JLB, Yeah we got a few clubs that do put up archery tourneys once in a while. Maybe 7 shoots a year between the two clubs. Wish we had more, but at least we got some!

--------------------

Johnnylongbow
Member # 19976

Cool. If I do Come over I will be in touch.
Thanks JLB

NateDog
Member # 23368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NateDog   Email NateDog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you backpack and stay overnight in the Mauna Kea Game Management Area?
Posts: 59 | From: South Centeral Montana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Jeffer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Jeffer   Email Jerry Jeffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally looking you guys up next time I am out there. Nice stuff.

--------------------
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Posts: 4003 | From: Stroud Township ,PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Member # 36882

Nate, no you cant overnight in the Mauna Kea Forest Reserve. There is no place on the big island where you can camp. Actually your best bet if you want to stay would be to reserve the Mauna kea state cabins.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©