Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Turkeys on the islands (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Turkeys on the islands
Hummer3T
Contributor 2015
Member # 34873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hummer3T   Email Hummer3T   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you add turkeys to your write-ups, I might be coming this winter (Feb)and was wondering what was available with turkeys on each islands.

Great forum, Thanks

--------------------
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62'/54lbs@28
Chek-mate hunter I 60'/49&42lbs@28
Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Posts: 1261 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I don't know much about hunting turkeys here but I'll be sure to make a few phone calls.
I'll keep you posted.

Ryan

Posts: 3053 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried calling a few guys, but no luck so far... [Frown]

I'll get in touch with Riley, he's a wealth of knowledge.

Posts: 3053 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if you want to move this or make it a new thread but here is some turkey info on Hawaii Island (Big Island).

So the first real season is our Upland Game bird season. It starts the first weekend in November and ends the 3rd weekend in January. In this season you have one turkey per day per hunter. You can walk around and shoot any game birds. The season is only open on weekends and usually is limited to Mauna Kea, Kipuka Ainahou, Kapapala Ranch, Keamuku, Pohakuloa Training Area, and Lau Ranch (located right next to Kaohe GMA).

As for our spring turkey hunt, Hawaii Season seems to be a little early compared to some midwest seasons. Opening day for Spring turkeys is the first day of march and ends the last day of march. So basically 31 consecutive days. Bags limits are 2 long beards per hunter per season. NO HENS are to be shot. Decoys are ok, and orange is not required but highly recommended if you plan to walk off the roads a bit.

Areas that are open are Mauna kea, Kaohe, Pohakuloa Training areas, Keamuku and Kipuka Ainahou. Only Mauna Kea, Kaohe, and Kipuka Ainahou follow the 31 consecutive days, as for Keamuku and Pohakuloa, they are only open on weekends or state holidays and you will need to call the friday before you go to make sure they are open for bird and not for mammal hunting.

As for the other island im not sure how their hunting is or where to go.

Either way, youll have some fun hunting Rio Grande Thunder Chickens!!!!

-

-

--------------------
I need a bomb proof bow....

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Mahalo Riley!!!
We'll leave this post here and I'll repost elsewhere if necessary.

Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had no clue HI had turkeys.....cool.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31120 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only island I have been successful at turkey spot and stalk is Lana'i. For some reason no one pressures them and they don't seem as smart as hunted turkeys usually are. I think it's because everyone is after the Axis deer so the turkeys mostly get left alone and in turn they get used to being around hunters. Try calling this number (808)565-3981 Lana'i Company Game Management (I think that's their name?) They manage all the non-state hunting areas of Lana'i. Bird season on state land runs from now to the end of Jan so you'd need to hunt private land if you come in Feb. Google the Craig Morgan Lana'i episode. They show some "Lana'i style" turkey spot n stalk. Funny stuff. Good Luck.

--------------------
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hummer3T
Contributor 2015
Member # 34873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hummer3T   Email Hummer3T   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, likely the big Island will now be our destination.

--------------------
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62'/54lbs@28
Chek-mate hunter I 60'/49&42lbs@28
Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Posts: 1261 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalArcher
Member # 23053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalArcher   Email CalArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visited the Big Island a few weeks ago and saw many turkeys. Seems the turkeys were mostly around the northern part of the island. Couple dozen just roaming around Hapuna (no hunting here); saw 50 or more near Mauna Kea.

-

--------------------
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess who is excited for the Spring turkey hunt this march....THIS GUY!!

Shooting some hand crafted broom sticks with a big bad blade on the front. [Smile]

-

--------------------

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalArcher
Member # 23053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CalArcher   Email CalArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice looking arrows Riley! Is that a Magnus Classic broadhead? What kind of wood for the shafts?

--------------------
Husband, Father, Bowhunter

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Thanks Bryan, I am not sure I bought it a while ago but if I can remember it is 1.5" cut and maybe 145grs??? I looked a quick one and looks like it is called MA II.

As for the shafts they are sitka spruce, 50-55lbs. 11/32.

--------------------

ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Riley are those wood arrows from Brian Furguson of all wood arrows?
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Howsit Darryl. No, I got blanks as a present a while back and then a few months ago when I got into shooting the longbow I decided to try make some of my own. These are hand crafted...when you look close, you can see the many imperfections.

--------------------

ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow no can tell awesome woodies I also shoot a longbow with wood arrows @ 55-60 got some Mr furguson I no moe da talent to make my own LOL thanks Riley for the info [thumbsup]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©