Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » On the hunt of MY lifetime... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: On the hunt of MY lifetime...
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I am looking forward to pictures. Good luck with the cocks.

I want to show you my arrows. I am fletching them as we speak.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16921 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys, but photobucket is down for site maintenance right now, so the pictures will have to wait. To bad, because I had some of Topless Tuesday, but I need the storage space for other things. So place all the blame on Photobucket for you missing out on those. I will have some of the rest of the trip though coming at a later date when they are up and running again.

As for the hunting, I have not killed (or even shot at) any "Foghorn Leghorns"...YET. Honestly, hunting them in the populated areas would not be a challenge at all. If there are people around, the chickes have grown used to them. I have taken my longbow and arrows everywhere we have gone, and my boys are really wanting some fresh chicken, but I just can't bring myself to shoot something that walks right up to you. To show my boys how easy it would be to kill a chicken, we were at Spouting Horn (a place where the ocean waves flow thru the lava tubes emitting a loud moan, and spitting sea water straight up into the air), I dropped a corn chip, and chickens came from everywhere to get it. I had to be quick, but was able to pin 2 down to the ground with my hands. I did make sure to watch out for some of the larger Foghorns though. You see the bigger ones have up to 1 1/2" spurs on them, and they look needle sharp. I don't need any of those sticking me.

I have not given up on my quest of a P&Y Foghorn, but I want a true wilderness one (read that as a challenge), not a citidiot chicken like most of them that are here.

As for the goats, today I went on an aerial recon mission. I wanted to get a good look at the terrain we will be hunting so what better way to do it than by a single engine prop plane? I simply cannot wait to get in the mountains to goat hunt. Waimea Canyon is trully one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen on earth. Once again, once Photobucket is working, I'll get some good pics up for your viewing pleasure.

Tomorrow, it's one more day of relaxing/snorkeling on the north side of the island (near Na Pali coast) before going on my excursion. Originally I had planned on going to the Na Pali Coast to do my part on getting rid of an invasive species (hunting the goats), but the State has performed cull hunts recently and they were near 100% successful, so I had to go with option B, and I'm kind of glad I did for various reasons. Hearing the goats were nearly all killed off of the Na Pali, was bittersweet, but being an invasive species I can understand. But on the other hand it is hard to accept that another game animal is gone from such a beautiful location.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off for now, and will be without internet till Next Monday or Tuesday when I get back to the resort (I know, I'm really roughing it), so there will be no updates from me unless I get cell reception and can phone a friend to let you know how I've done.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Mike!!!!!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11731 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopewell Tom
Contributor 2016
Member # 23301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopewell Tom   Email Hopewell Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love a parade...

Good luck, see you next week.

--------------------
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Posts: 2204 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kibok&ko
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kibok&ko   Email kibok&ko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Posts: 948 | From: France | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirtybird
Contributor 2016
Member # 21130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirtybird   Email Dirtybird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Mike and can't wait to hear back from you about your adventure.
Posts: 2457 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
Contributor 2017
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should get good from here. Good luck.
Posts: 5532 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, here is the rest of the story...

I rented a cabin in the middle of Heaven...

-

My buddy that lives on the island arrived a couple hours after I did. He was a compound shooter, so there will be no more about him in this story, except to say that he is a VERY skillfull mountain climber (which I soon learned is a good trait to have on this hunt), and a true sportsman.

We started the 1st of 2 days of mountain goat hunting by getting up at 4 AM (didn't matter, I couldn't sleep, because all the roosters up crowing all night).

Got in the truck, and went to the hunter check in Station to sign into the unit we were going to hunt. I asked the purpose for this, and was told that if I don't sign out, they know where to start looking for the body. "Body"? I asked. Well, that got Mike's mind to thinking...Did I prepare good enough for this trip or not?

After signing in, we drove downhill a little farther to our designated Unit, got out, loaded up our packs and bows and headed out to the Canyon Rim to sit and glass for Hawaiian Mountain Goats...

-

It didn't take long for me to start hearing the vocal sounds of the goats, but I quickly found out that sound travels for ever here. What I thought was a goat a few hundred yards away, ended up being 2 ridgelines over. So from looking at the terrain, I weighed my options, and decided that there has got to be something in one of these valley's. Well within about 20 minutes, I spoted a couple that were out on the right side of the large outcroping at the end of the ridge in the pictureabove...and so the first stalk commenced.

For those of you that have never been to Hawaii, and hunted mountain goats, your probably much like I was, and think you just wear your swim trunks and flip flops, walk over and stick one and go back to seeing the latest style of bikini on the beach (and yes there are plenty, except for "Topless Tuesday"). Well, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I set out to get on these 2 goats the easiest way I could figure, and that was by walking the ridgeline I was on, and dropping down and around to get a arrow into one if not both of them, then get back to the beach...Right? Well, I quickly found out that there was absolutely nothing in the state of Michigan that could prepare me for the terrain I was now hunting, except possibly getting up on top of a house roof that is a 12/12 pitch, or in laymen's terms, a 45* angle with shingles on, but NOT nailed down, and a bunch of loose bolders along the ridge ready to dislodge at any moment from the slightest pressure. I had to stop 1/2 way thru to not only ask myself why I wanted to do this (answer was simple...I'm a hunter, therefore I hunt), and to get a picture to remind me why I actually do this...

-

Let me back up a for a second, at the Koke'e State Park, there is a General Store, and on of the items they sell is a stick from the forrest to be used as a walking stick for $7. I laughed at that and said I would never spend that much on a stick. Well, my NEW Tall Tines longbow saved my arse more times than I could count in aiding me from going tumbling down the cliff and having a search party come and "find my body". $7 sounded pretty cheap the first time I had to use my longbow, but then again, they are memory marks, right?

I made it out to the right side of this ridgeline in a little over a hour and more than once I used every muscle in my body to hug the cliff walls. (same pic from above)...

-

and to my surprise, the 2 goats were still in the same general location, only problem, is I went to far to go any further, and now had to backtrack to get to withing my predetermined hunting distance of 20 yards or less.

Ok, sorry guys, but it's 8:20 in the morning here, and I need to go stake my claim on the beach. There is just way to much to see, to spend the daylight in the hotel.

[bigsmyl]

More to come tonight...

--------------------

Posts: 5337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RM81
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RM81   Email RM81   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's not right
Posts: 1360 | From: London, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clapper]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11303 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2015
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff Mike! I didn't hunt there, but have seen it, and I think it is probably one of the most beautiful places on this planet!

--------------------
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Posts: 10409 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
way to go mike [thumbsup]

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 9461 | From: Baylys Beach New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckbutt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duckbutt   Email Duckbutt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep it coming Mikey...... [thumbsup]
Posts: 1015 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
Contributor 2017
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am liking this story! Enjoy your beach time, I will check in later [campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 16921 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

I got way to far ahead of myself. Let me back up to last week when I took a single prop plane for a ride to see the area, and show you some of the pictures I took from that ride.

Here is the reason I didn't shoot a Foghorn Leghorn while I was on this trip. I simply cannot bring myself to shoot something that walks right up to you. Here is my 2 boys and Mom along with my wife walking up, enjoying a little chicken time...

-

The first glimpse of where we were to spend the next few days...

-

The begining of the Waimea Canyon on the west side of the Island...

-

Here is the Kalalau Valley that I mentioned earlier. I was told by quite a few individuals that before the State of Hawaii opened up a cull hunt for Mountain Goats on this Island, that it was not uncommon to see upwards of 200 goats at a time in this valley...

-

A different view of the same Kalalau Valley. I can only dream of the hunting the days gone by here. Maybe one day they will reverse the numbers and get them overpopulated again...

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©