Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » On the hunt of MY lifetime... (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: On the hunt of MY lifetime...
SKITCH
Contributor 2014
Member # 36382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SKITCH   Email SKITCH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW. Thanks for the story and pictures. Wife and I backpacked into Kalalau a while back and it was an amazing experience. Once at the end of the trail you can't camp too close to the cliffs cuz the goats kick the rocks off and they fall all the time. You could hear them crashing down all night long. Also, while we were there we connected with a group of folks from the surrounding islands that had gathered there to celebrate the birthday of a friend. One day a few of them got up early and went hunting goat.
They killed one with a spear and we had a huge party that night on the beach. Great fun.

And along the lines of your comment about finding the body. while we were there, one of the group got pulled out in the ocean by an undertow. We had to bring a Coast Guard helicopter in by writing SOS in the sand. They searched for him for 3 days and nights. They never did find his body! Kinda teaches you to live every day like it is your last.

Thanks again. It is an amazing place!

--------------------
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered"
Lincoln

Posts: 1012 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Margly
Contributor 2013
Member # 18615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Margly   Author's Homepage   Email Margly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey [thumbsup]

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1585 | From: Norway | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you once again for all the nice comments. After reading them all, I feel I did a good job bringing you along with me.

I'm home now, and what a loooooong ride that was. I'm already making plans to return back to the islands. Might be a solo trip though, this way I get more hunting time.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Easykeeper
Contributor 2014
Member # 13113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easykeeper   Email Easykeeper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story and photos. Really liked the part about the arrow for your Dad. Thanks for sharing... [thumbsup]
Posts: 1503 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soonerlongbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soonerlongbow   Email Soonerlongbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesomeness!

--------------------
PSE Legacy 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Posts: 572 | From: OK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A

--------------------

Posts: 5337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huntin_sparty
Contributor 2016
Member # 22754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntin_sparty   Email huntin_sparty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT stuff Mike!!!
Thanks,

--------------------
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 772 | From: SE Michigan | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Mike! The pic of you and the shirt is great but the memorial to your father is AWESOME!! Thanks bud!!

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4827 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cookus
Contributor 2013
Member # 17834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cookus   Email Cookus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXCELLENT! Mike, this is what's it's all about brother! Cherish the experience (I'm preaching to the choir)! Glad you could take us along!

--------------------
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Posts: 902 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

I'm glad you all get it. Here at work, everyone cannot understand how I can have such a great hunt, and not kill anything. Too many people measure success in Material Items. I find it best (sometimes) to just keep quiet, and cherish the memories.

--------------------

Jack Whitmire Jr
2017 Contributor
Member # 13714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Whitmire Jr   Email Jack Whitmire Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow I was just in those cayons last week , I didn't get to hunt this trip but will next . Kuai is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been .

--------------------
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any Morals- unknown author

Posts: 1134 | From: Scott Depot, WV | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for sharing Mike!

[campfire]

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makua Girl
Member # 37838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makua Girl   Email Makua Girl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a great story!

[clapper] [clapper]

Posts: 73 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
straitera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straitera   Email straitera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great story & experience. As good as it gets! Real fine tribute to your dad too.

--------------------
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Posts: 4639 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©