Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Meat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meat
Hunt2xs
Member # 40234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt2xs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question on transporting the meat from hawaii. I'm assuming that there are places with the means to box, keep cool, and ship the meat from a hunt off island, but are there any special restrictions or requirments for doing so. I guess the same question pertains to shipping parts of the animal as well.

Here is something I hope isn't misinterpreted as I believe the meat is more important than a set of horns but some or all of these animals are considered an invasive species, are there even salvage requirments at all? The reason I ask is my buddy lives on the island and his wife is part of a conservation group that is working to rid particular areas of hogs and sheep and I don't believe they will collect animals after shooting them from a helicopter. This leads me to believe hawaii may not require much in the way of salvaging when it comes to a hunt. Just curious.

Posts: 2 | From: Alaska | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's within the united states, I don't know of any restrictions. For us, we just freeze the meat before travel and pack in the cooler.

The conservation groups have been taking over many of our hunting areas and will continue to do so. Yes, they do shoot the animals and leave them there. I have no idea why they won't let us hunters harvest them instead and if they do, I'm not aware of it. In some areas even federal funds are used to eradicate animals. It's interesting that some animal rights entities attack hunters, but don't threaten the conservation groups. They arial gun hundreds of animals. Many are wounded and almost all go to waste especially since we got no predators.

For the most part, I feel that our DLNR and State are not supportive of hunting, heck I'm still waiting for a few return phone calls.

It's hard for me to go into detail, since I don't fully agree or understand what or why they are doing what they do.

Riley may have more insight in this area since it's happening to his island here and now.

We are loosing a lot of hunting areas, I hardly travel to the outer islands anymore because of this.

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, lucky if we have any type of hunting when my son becomes of age. If there is, it'll probably be on private land, which we can't afford to hunt….
Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt2xs
Member # 40234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt2xs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate the input and hopefully the state can find a way to capitalize on a huntable animal and shift a little more leverage our direction. Your comment about the animal rights groups not targeting conservation groups made me smile. I agree.
Posts: 2 | From: Alaska | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do as Ryan does, pack blue ice and if I do harvest an animal just pay the luggage fee to send it back.

I have talked to a few of the Biologist here and seems as if they would like to make it illegal here in Hawaii to shoot an animal and not take any meat...but the state is paid by the Federal government (grant money) to shoot animals in fenced in enclosures around the island. They do not bring out meat and just leave them to rot, so technically the state cant make it illegal to "take the meat" when actually they do it. Although its not right...it is happening.

As for Ryans comment, I know some but I still am left out, as I believe the state/feds want us tax paying citizens to know least as possible. You try to ask a question, you get no direct answer. Very strange but I guess thats what Hawaii is coming to. Sooner or later when people come here not only can you see miles of beaches...you can see miles of fences and invasive grasses taking over. True story!

--------------------
I need a bomb proof bow....

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©