Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Makua Goat Hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Makua Goat Hunt
ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Ryan you folks still hunt up makua side in the Waianae side? do you still gotta call DNLR for the combination lock at the First Hawaiian Gate to get up there? any info? thanks [dunno] [shaka]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, DLNR still has a lock on there, but to be honest they haven't changed the combo in years. I just went about a month ago, still the same combo.

--------------------
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great haven't hunted over there in long time last time was there heard some gun fire in the same area we was hunting spook all the game bummers will try next time I get the chance but I betta wear hunters safety vest LOL ok Mahalo [shaka] [archer]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowhunting season isn't open till Feb.

Yes, there is still a lot of gun fire during archery only season, so be careful of the poachers. We were caught in the cross fire last season. Pretty scary stuff!!! They'll hunt in there like it's legal. I've called the local DLNR every time, but with no response or follow up.

The one good thing is the church bought out First Hawaiian, so the gate is usually open during the day and the cars are a little safer to park. If you go early or stay late, you'll still need the combo.

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrisMunkyNinja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree with Ryan, the poaching is nuts at times. Last year my friend (Chris) was stalking some goats @ about 50 yards when some guns started shooting up the heard he was stalking!!! He had to stand up, yell, and wave his arms to stop um. Apparently the guy that owns the ranch now lets his friends hunt up there, but sometimes they really don't make it clear to each other where they are suppose to hunt. [nono] Spooky stuff! Once in awhile the Makaha side poachers push the goats over to Makua, but it's still unsettling anytime we hear gun fire. Sounds like they even do tactical shooting practice down on the ranch.

The good folks of Our Lady of Keaau were nice enough to open up the gate to let us out one night when someone decided to change the lock.

--------------------

Posts: 44 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GrisMunkyNinja
Member # 40078

Looks like DLNR might have changed the combo. Friend got stuck in there last night and Our Lady of Keaau had to come to the rescue again.

--------------------

Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lock is now changed every Monday. Call ahead.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 561 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shootinwithJesus
Member # 39668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shootinwithJesus   Email shootinwithJesus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This place is dangerous. 3 hunts in there last year, and twice had rounds fired within 100 yards or so of where I was hunting. Scary!

--------------------
With Christ in mind

Posts: 13 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©