Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Hawaii hunting licence for foreigners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawaii hunting licence for foreigners
DG2
Member # 15366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DG2   Email DG2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I would like to hunt in Hawaii, but getting the hunting license might be a bit problematic for me.

I read somewhere that the Hawaii legislature passed a bill that may allow nonresidents, while hunting with a guide on private land, to buy a one-week license without a hunter safety certificate.

Any news about that?

I have applied for Letter of Exemption (I have European/Finnish hunting license), but no idea what is the policy for foreigners to get that. I sent the the application a few weeks ago, so I hope to get the reply soon.

Thanks.

- Timo

Posts: 27 | From: finland | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TImo,
From my understanding, like you mentioned, if you are hunting with a guide and on private land, the guide may be able to issue you a license to hunt with him for the specific time. I would contact the guide first as all may not be aware of this.

If you already applied and are in contact with our DLNR, that would be your best bet.

For myself, I'll get different answers from the local DLNR depending on who I speak too. I'm still awaiting return phone calls…

Hope it all works out!

Ryan

Posts: 3022 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hummer3T
Contributor 2015
Member # 34873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hummer3T   Email Hummer3T   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a hunting course in Finland, if so it should be part of your application for the Letter of Exemption, if not I think you can do some courses online. I got mine, seemed to be easy with any fed. or Prov/State hunters ed course.

--------------------
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62'/54lbs@28
Chek-mate hunter I 60'/49&42lbs@28
Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Posts: 1224 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DG2
Member # 15366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DG2   Email DG2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes we have mandatory hunting course and test for the hunting licence. I sent all the docs to DLNR about 3 months ago but no reply. There is at least one outfitter on the Big Island who has an exemption for a 3 day private land license. Also in Maui there should be this kind of licence available.

It would be good to get that normal Hawaii hunting licence as it would expand options.

I'll check that online course possibility, thanks for the tip.

Posts: 27 | From: finland | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Barr
2017 Contributor
Member # 38047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Barr   Email Scott Barr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going to Hawaii on a guided hunt end of this month. I took online hunter safety course from the state of Texas. Took me 45 minutes. Cheap. All that's needed for Hawaii. Will get license over the counter with hunter safety card.
Posts: 432 | From: San Diego, California | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©