Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » December on the "big island".....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: December on the "big island".....
Mark Baker
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might as well start fishing for ideas, tips, pointers, etc. We (family) are making the trip in December to the big island....and of course, the first thing on my mind (and my sons) is we need to go hunting!

We will be there Dec 1st thru the 13th for sure. My oldest son, Boone, is living there now, building houses in Kona. I would love to make a connection with someone local who could give him a few pointers to follow up on, and even perhaps find him someone to partner up with on some island hunting. By the way, he is good hunter and has shot trad his whole life.

Any help in any way will be appreciated here. I have several months to plan this.....

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2300 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark get in touch with Riley (RD808). He's an awesome resource for Hawaii Island.

I'll pm you my number also.

Aloha!
Ryan

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mark,

Sweet, you guys will love the big island. December is a really rough time for archery on the big island. 99% of areas that hold a decent amount of game are closed due to our Upland game bird season. The season runs from first weekend in November till the second weekend in January. There are a few areas open but the animals are very smart...they can be shot but its certainly not easy if your not used to hunting spot and stalk.

As for hunting now, there are some areas open but soon most will close besides Kipuka Ainahou. Its a mouflon sheep (mostly hybrids) area and it is a tuff one. If you can get it done in this area I truly do believe that you can hunt any animal ANYWHERE. hahah well maybe I havent hunted too much on the upper 48 but I have taken guys from Colorado, Alaska and Oregon

Just let me know any questions, my email that I check more often, rileydemattos@gmx.com

Aloha,
Riley

--------------------
I need a bomb proof bow....

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Riley will you be there for the for the 3d state shoot in July 12 hope to be there was there 2yrs ago great shoot [archer] [archer2] [shaka]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...thanks for the quick replies guys! This will be our first trip to Hawaii....hopefully there will be more. The December "outlook" sounds grim, but we are always up for the challenge, and if anybody can "get it done" it would be those Baker boys.

By the way, timing of this trip was more about NOT giving up hunting time here (I know but it's really good here too) and still trying to fit in a great family visit and a 30th anniversary trip all in one. Someday, Kory and I will make the trip mostly for hunting-only priorities....

On the other hand, I'd love for my son Boone to meet up with some of the bowhunting locals and truly get to enjoy his time there too.

I'll get ahold of you guys at a better "hour" ....thanks for the contact info.

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2300 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Member # 391

By the way....I've got Boone already on the lookout for private ground to hunt as well. Thanks again all. - Mark

--------------------

RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ichibuns:
Aloha Riley will you be there for the for the 3d state shoot in July 12 hope to be there was there 2yrs ago great shoot [archer] [archer2] [shaka]

Darryl, yup ill be there....if ill be "tournament ready" is another thing, but ill be there. Only recently started to go to the tournaments, this will be my first state shoot. Hope to see you there!!!

--------------------

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ichibuns
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichibuns   Email ichibuns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awsome see you there ill just look for the braddah with the stalker longbow [archer] [shaka] [archer2]
Posts: 129 | From: hi | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

quote:
Originally posted by ichibuns:
Awsome see you there ill just look for the braddah with the stalker longbow [archer] [shaka] [archer2]

hehehe!

--------------------

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©