Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » On Week #7, the Stars Aligned for Staci and I... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: On Week #7, the Stars Aligned for Staci and I...
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unit B opened up for bowhunting back on Feb 1st. It's the place where Staci and I spend most of our weekends for the first part of the year.

-

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire]

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5337 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan K Sanpei   Email Ryan K Sanpei   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first month didn't start off so well. Heavy rains caused for thick vegetation, the goats were hanging out in the higher elevations and loose dogs were chasing the hogs and goats around. In addition, the year also rang with gunfire. [Mad]

-

Fresh dog tracks were the only thing we found after walking hours in the back of the valley.

Posts: 3031 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is going to be good. [coffee] [campfire]
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] already followed the Instagram. Now I can read the story. Nice!
Posts: 4135 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [coffee]

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 3900 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

On this trip, we spotted a few and tried to make a stalk, but for some reason they were really skittish. Here's a shot of Staci making her way home.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

quote:
Originally posted by Matty:
[campfire] already followed the Instagram. Now I can read the story. Nice!

Before I go any further, I have to be honest. I'm not going to post the entire story in full detail. I promised the guys from "The Push" a future podcast about week #7. I'll be sure to let you guys know when that happens.

They just released Part 1 & 2, but these first two just talk a little bit about my beginnings, tuning and shooting.

-

-

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-push-a-traditional-archery-podcast/id1212185658?mt=2
Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-push-a-traditional-archery-podcast
Podbean: https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/twruz-4d538/The+Push+-+A+Traditional+Archery+Podcast

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

At the end of the month, I started to get a little worried. The last time Staci hunted in this valley with a recurve, she went the entire season without nocking an arrow.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

It was week 6 when things started to turn around. Staci was busy so I decided to take a solo trip.
As I was making my way to the top of one of the ridges, I spotted a few goats. I dropped my pack and made a stalk. After about 50 yards of crawling, I closed the distance to about 30 yards. They were feeding to me and everything was working out, that is until the wind hit my back. The gig was up and they were gone. Discouraged but not defeated, I kept ascending. Fortunately for me, goats were climbing the ridge that I was heading for. With a few more steps, they would be out of line of sight. Once out of view, I scrambled as quick as possible to where I felt that I could ambush them. Fortunately, my plan worked out and I was 30 yards below them as they continued their climb. I got to 20 yards as the last nanny made her way. She made a few more steps and I started to draw. At about 17 yards I dumped the string. The arrow impacted right above her elbow. It looked like and felt like a good shot. She trotted off and I lost sight of her as she headed towards the cliffs which weren't visible from my position. I then went to retrieve my pack and took a water break.

-

Because of my shot placement, I went to inspect the area. This is what I found. It wasn't solid lung blood, but it looked like major artery or heart blood. The blood trail continued to look very promising.

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

The trailing was a little sketchy as it was along the cliff, but thankfully it looked like she didn't jump or fall off. After less than 50 yards, I found her laying in the grass. I made quick work of the cleaning process and hung up the meat in the shade to cool.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

As I was heading out of the valley, I stopped to take a water break and snapped one last image.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

It was week number 7 and my "bowhunting tail" was back at it again.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

The day started off good as we spotted a few goats off the bat. Unfortunately I made a couple bad choices in terms of the approach. I was discouraged, but Staci was still full of hope. At this point we took a quick break for lunch.

-

Ryan K Sanpei
SPONSOR
Member # 16091

Just when I thought we had to just pack up and head home, we were given one last chance.

Staci was pinned down behind a tree and I was behind of her hiding behind a boulder. She was just about 20 yards from three goats and couldn't stalk any closer.

While staying hidden, the next thing I heard was the shot of the bow and the crack of an arrow. My first thought was that she hit a rock.

After all the commotion, I got up and walked to her. I asked her if she missed, she said no and thought the arrow snapped after the hit.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©