Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Hawaiian Connection » Im coming to Hawaii in either late Feb or Early March 2018

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Im coming to Hawaii in either late Feb or Early March 2018
RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGKulas   Email RGKulas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Told my wife on Saturday that for our 28th Anniversary we are going to spend a week in Hawaii. Now Id like to couple that with a little bowhunting. Is there much to hunt at that time of the year? Ive never been to Hawaii before so assume I know nothing and you will be correct.

She is a beach/sun fan while I'm more inclined to spend a day or 2 hunting (dosent matter what I'm hunting so long as I have a bow in my hand)

The trip is 9 months away so no is the time to plan.

Posts: 204 | From: WI | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGKulas   Email RGKulas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this area of the forum dead????
Posts: 204 | From: WI | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naww. Not dead. We just operate on Hawaiian time. lol.

I am going to link in the regs. This is the most "recently" updated version.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/huntered/files/2013/05/MammalHuntingRegs_Chap123.pdf

Now for the nitty gritty, what island are you going to be on? What would you like to hunt? Are you a DIY guy or would you like an outfitter? Public only or are you interested in paying for private land hunts?

I have some experience here on Oahu, though this is the island with the least amount of game. I may be able to offer a bit of help for other islands as well.

Things to remember before coming here. you HAVE TO have an original copy of your hunter safety card WITH YOU (from whatever state you got it in) If you don't have the original card they will not issue you an exemption number to get a hunting license. So remember to bring that. If you have not taken hunter ed, do so you have time. You will not be issued a licence without it. Licensing is cheap. I think out of state is like 100 bucks, and offers a bunch of species depending on what island you are on. Feb/March is the end of the winter season and may be pretty rainy depending on the side of the island you are on. Feb/March is also pretty good time for boar hunting due to the wetness as well.

I hope that helps a bit. PM me when you get some details of your trip nailed down and I will provide any info I can.

Aloha,

MSturm

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 558 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your headed to the big island let me know, I can point you in the right direction.

Shoots

--------------------
I need a bomb proof bow....

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

duplicate post.
RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

I will be spending a week on Kauai but wonder if its very costly to island hop for a day hunt on another island?

I went to the Hawaii DLNR website last week and used their system to forward them my WI hunters ed certificate and they granted me an exemption.

They replied with this email

"Congratulations!

You have presented proper and valid documentation, which exempts you from having to successfully complete the State of Hawaii Hunter Education Course prior to obtaining a State of Hawaii hunting license.

The Exemption number for: RONALD KULAS is: EXMxxxxxx.

You may now purchase a State of Hawaii hunting license online at

https://hunting.ehawaii.gov/hunting/license.html

A copy of the attached document must be presented to the licensing agent if purchasing a State of Hawaii hunting license in-person.

Please keep a copy of this email and document for your records.

If you have any questions, please contact Division of Forestry and Wildlife at 808-587-0166."

So what sort of bowhunting and species can I find on Kauai?

RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

What species seasons are open in mid March???
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RD808   Email RD808   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe an inter-island flight to the big island would be about $250. I know the Na Pali coast has some goat hunting and I believe you can get a camping permit and stay a few days deep in the canyons. You would have to check the mammal regulations to see if that unit is open for hunting though.

--------------------

Posts: 103 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RD808
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36882

March is good for big island hunts as most of the good areas are open. We have feral goats and hybrid sheep areas.

--------------------

RGKulas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40853

We booked our trip to be Feb. 15 thru 21. Will there be hunting seasons open then?
Msturm
Contributor 2016
Member # 41701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msturm   Email Msturm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep several areas are open during that time. check the regs in my previous post.

--------------------
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Posts: 558 | From: Hawaii | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©